Chapter 19

The interstate is dark and empty.

Jisoo reaches over Jennie and pulls the mask off the latter's face.

The smell of death from inside Jennie's home lingers in her nose.

She can't shake it.

She keeps thinking of Lisa, lying dead under a blanket on their front porch.

As the three of them pass to the west of downtown, Jennie glances out of her window.

There's just enough starlight to profile the towers.

They're black, lifeless.

Rosé says, "Guys?"

"What?"

"There's a car following us."

Jisoo and Jennie looks in the rearview mirror.

With no lights, it looks like a phantom riding their bumper.

Blinding high beams and red-and-blues kick on, sending splinters of light through the interior of the car.

A voice booms through a megaphone behind them: "Pull your vehicle onto the shoulder."

Panic swells.

They have nothing to defend themselves with.

They can't outrun anything in this piece of shit AKA the old Hyundai Porter.

Rosé takes her foot off the gas and watches the speedometer needle swing counterclockwise.

Jisoo says, "You're stopping?"

"Yes."

"Why?" Jennie asks.

Rosé ease down on the brake pedal, and as their speed falls, Rosé veers onto the shoulder and bring the car to a stop.

"Rosé." Jisoo grabs her arm. "What are you doing?"

In the side mirror, Jennie watches a black SUV pull to a stop behind them.

"Turn off your vehicle and drop the keys out the window."

"Rosé!" Jennie shouts.

"Just trust me."

"This is your last warning. Turn off the car and drop the keys out the window. Any attempt to flee will be met with lethal force."

A mile or so back, more headlights appear.

Rosé shifts the car into PARK and kill the lights, then she lowers her window several inches, sticks her arm through, and drops a set of keys outside.

The driver's-side door to the SUV opens, and a man in a gas mask steps out with his weapon already drawn.

Rosé throws the car back into gear, hit the lights, and floor the accelerator.

They hear a gunshot over the roar of the engine.

A bullet hole stars the windshield.

Then another.

One rips into the cassette deck.

Looking back, Jennie sees the SUV now several hundred yards down the shoulder.

The keys were fake.

The speedometer is at sixty and climbing.

"How far are we from our exit?" Jisoo asks.

"A mile or two." Jennie answers.

Jisoo looked back, "There's a bunch of them coming."

Rosé glanced at the side mirror "I see them."