Chapter 8

Jennie, who is enjoying the comfortable bed, watches as the daylight fade over Seoul.

Out in the kitchen, pots are banging, cabinets are opening and closing, and the scent of instant noodles drifts back down the hallway into the guest room with a smell that strikes Jennie as suspiciously familiar.

She climbs out of bed, stable on her feet for the first time all day, and heads for the kitchen. Tori Kelly is playing on Spotify and Lisa stands at the island, waiting for the noodles to cook.

Jennie announced her presence with, "Smells amazing."

"How are you feeling?" Lisa asks.

"Like a different person."

"So...better?"

"Much."

It's a traditional Lisa dish—an instant noodles with chopped veggies. Lisa cooks it rarely, usually on days where Jennie is sick and too tired to cook for them or when they're both craving for instant noodles.

Lisa stirs the noodles, "It's my—"

It slips out before Jennie thinks to stop herself: "Your secret recipe. Well, to be specific—the only recipe you ever known."

Lisa stops stirring and looks back at Jennie.

"What else do you know about me?"

"Look, from my perspective, we've been together years. So I know almost everything."

"And from mine, it was only two and a half months, and that was a lifetime ago. And yet you know about my secret recipe joke that I just made up when I was in junior high school"

For a moment, it becomes uncannily quiet in the kitchen. Like the air between them carries a positive charge, humming on some frequency right at the edge of their perception.

Lisa finally breaks the silence, "If you want to help, You could prepare drinks for us, my drink is-"

"Instant coffee with three tablespoons of powdered milk and two teaspoon of sugar?"

Lisa gives the faintest smile and raises an eyebrow. "Wow"

Time passed and then, they have dinner at the table beside the huge window with the candlelight reflecting in the glass and the city lights burning beyond—their own local constellation.

The food taste normal but that Jennie ever wanted since she woke up from that damn cold flood.

Lisa is beautiful in the firelight and it made Jennie feel some type of way.

At the end of dinner—their bowls and coffee mugs emptied—Lisa reaches across the glass table and touches Jennie's small hand.

"I don't know what's happening to you, Jennie, but I'm glad you found your way to me."

Jennie wanted so badly to kiss her.

She took her in when Jennis was lost. When the world stopped making sense. But she didn't kiss Lisa.

She just squeeze Lisa's hand and say, "You have no idea what you've done for me."

They clear the table, load the dishwasher, and tackle the remaining sink full of dishes. Jennie washes the plates while Lisa dries and puts them away. You know, like an old married couple.

In the dead silence, Jennie chose to spoke up, "Rosé, huh?"

Lisa stops wiping down the interior of the stockpot and looks at Jennie. "Do you have an opinion about that you'd like to share?"