Chapter 22

In the morning, Rosé and Jisoo is no longer beside Jennie.

Jennie lie on her side, watching the sunlight push through the blinds, listening to the noise of traffic humming through the walls. The clock is behind her on the bedside table. She can't see the time, but it feels late. They have slept in.

She sits up, throw back the covers, looks around the room.

It's empty.

"Jisoo?"

"Rosé"

Jennie starts quickly toward the bathroom to see if someone's in there, but what she sees on top of the dresser makes her stop.

Some cash.

A few coins.

Eight ampoules.

And a piece of paper ripped out of a notebook, covered in someone's handwriting;

Jennie. After last night, it was clear to me that you've made a decision to go down a path I can't follow. I struggled with this all night. As your friend, as a therapist, I want to help you. I want to fix you. But I can't. And I can't keep watching you fall down.

Especially if I'm part of the reason you keep falling down. To what extent is our collective subconscious driving our connections to these worlds? It's not that I don't want you to get back to your wife. I want nothing more. But we've been together now for weeks. It's hard not to get attached, especially under these circumstances, when you and Rosé is all I have.

I read your notebooks yesterday, when I was wondering if you'd left us, and honey, you're missing the point. You're writing down all these things about your Chicago, but not what you feel. We left you the backpack, eight ampoules, and half the money (a whopping ₩181430 and change). I don't know where I'll end up. I'm curious and scared, but excited too.

There's a part of me that really wants to stay, but you need to choose your own next door to open.

So do I.

Jennie, I wish you nothing but happiness.

Be safe.

Jisoo.

There's another piece of paper and by Jennie's guess, it belonged to Rosé;

I'm sorry for leaving you like this Jennie but Jisoo and I discussed things and we decided that it is the best if you'll go alone on this.

I don't know what to write in this paper anymore. Jisoo insisted for me to left you some farewell note and all I can think of is that we both loved Lisa to some extent. And I knew, that you love her more than I ever will. However, seeing you and the other versions of you with Lisa still hurts me and maybe running away with Jisoo like this is for the best isn't it? For me to move on and for you to move forward?

We left you more ampoules because we know you needed it more. Jisoo and I will be going together until we used the last of ampoules that we have, and when it happens, we're going to settle into that world.

I hope you find your world too Jennie. I hope you find your Lisa and I hope that the four of us will find each other again, but more happiness and less on haunting times.

Jennie, I know I told you to find your Lisa, but I hope you don't lose yourself in the process.

My prayers.

Rosé.

___________________________________

AMPOULES REMAINING: 7