Chapter 29

The front door is secure.

The only other way into the house is through the French doors that lead from the screened-in porch into the living room.

Jennie moves through the kitchen.

Lisa will be looking to her to tell her what's next and Jennie have no idea.

They can't take the car.

They'll have to leave on foot.

As Jennie reaches the living room, her thoughts come in a raging stream of consciousness.

What do we need to bring with us?

Phones.

Money.

Where's our money?

In an envelope in the bottom dresser drawer of our bedroom.

What else do we need?

What can we not forget?

How many versions of me tracked us here?

Am I going to die tonight?

By my own hand?

Jennie feels her way through the darkness, past the sleeper sofa, to the French doors. As she reach down to test the handles, she realize—it shouldn't be this cold in here.

Unless these doors were recently opened.

As in a few seconds ago.

They're locked now, and Jennie doesn't remember locking them.

Through the glass panes, she can see something on the patio, but it's too dark to make out any detail. 

Jennie thinks it's moving.

She needs to get back to her wife.

As Jennie turn away from the French doors, a shadow rises from behind the sofa.

Her heart stops.

A lamp blinks on.

Jennie sees herself standing ten feet away, one hand on the light switch, the other pointing a gun at her.

She's wearing nothing but her underwear and her hands are covered in blood.

Coming around the sofa with the gun aimed at Jennie's face, the other Jennie says quietly, "Take your clothes off."

The slash across her face identifies her.

Jennie glances behind her through the French doors.

The lamplight illuminates just enough of the patio for her to see a pile of clothes—Timberlands and a trench coat—and another Jennie lying on her side, her head in a pool of blood, throat laid open.

The other Jennie says, "I won't tell you again."

Jennie starts undoing the buttons of her shirt.

"We know each other," She say.

"Obviously."

"No, that cut on your face. We had beers together two nights ago." The original Jennie watches that piece of information land, but it doesn't derail the other like she hoped.

The other says, "That doesn't change what has to happen. This is the end. You'd do the same and you know it."

"I wouldn't, actually. I thought so at first, but I wouldn't."

The original slide her arms out of the sleeves, tosses the shirt.

She knows what the other is planning: dress herself in Jennie's clothes. Go to Lisa pretending to be her. She'll have to reopen the slash across her face to make it look like a fresh wound.