Chapter 10

Jennie is all cleaned up. They have given her new clothes and food.

After lunch, Jennie and Yang ride a service elevator down to sublevel four. Last time she walked the corridor, it was lined with plastic, and she had no idea where she was. 

She haven't been threatened. Haven't been told specifically that she can't leave.

But she have already noticed that Jennie and Yang are rarely alone. Two men who carry themselves like cops are always on the periphery. Jennie remember the guards from her first night there.

"It's basically four levels," Yang says. "Gym, rec room, mess hall, and a few dormitories on one. Labs, cleanrooms, conference rooms on two. Sublevel three is dedicated to fabrication. Four is the infirmary and mission control."

They are  moving toward a pair of vaultlike doors that look formidable enough to secure national secrets. Yang stops at a touchscreen mounted to the wall beside them. He pulls a keycard from his pocket and holds it under the scanner.

A computerized female voice says, Name, please.

He leans in close. "Yang Hyun-Suk"

Passcode.

"One-one-one-zero."

Voice recognition confirmed. Welcome, Dr. Yang.

The sound of a buzzer startles Jennie, its echo fading down the corridor behind them.

The doors open slowly. They stepped inside.

Jennie's pulse rate kicks up.

She can't believe what she's looking at.

Yang must have sense her awe, because he says, "Beautiful, isn't it?" It is exquisitely beautiful.

At first, Jennie thinks the hum inside the hangar is coming from the lights, but it can't be. It's so deep she can feel it at the base of her spine, like the ultra low frequency vibration of a massive engine.

Jennie drifts toward the box, mesmerized. She never fathomed she would see it in the flesh at such scale. Up close, it isn't smooth but an irregular surface that reflects the light in such a way as to make it seem multifaceted, almost translucent.

Yang  gestures to the pristine concrete floor gleaming under the lights. "We found you unconscious right over there."

They walk slowly alongside the box. Jennie reaches out, she lets her fingers graze the surface. It's cold to the touch.

"Eleven years ago, after you won the Pavia, we came to you and said we had five billion dollars. We could've built a spaceship, but we gave it all to you. To see what you could accomplish with unlimited resources." Yang shares.

Jennie asks, "Is my work here? My notes?"

"Of course."

They reach the far side of the box. He leads Jennie around the next corner. On that side, a door has been cut into the cube.

"What's inside?" Jennie asks.

"See for yourself."

The base of the door frame sits about a foot off the surface of the hangar.  Jennie lowers the handle, pushes it open, start to step inside but Yang puts a hand on her shoulder  

"No further," he says. "For your own safety."

"It's dangerous?"

"You were the third person to go inside. Two more went in after you. So far, you're the only one to return."