Chapter 27

They leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a bank envelope filled with cash from their emptied checking and savings accounts. Lisa puts the rental car on their credit card, but every transaction going forward will be cash only to make them harder to track.

By midafternoon, they are cruising through Wonju.

Rolling pasture

Minor hills.

Red barns.

Silos form a rustic skyline.

Smoke trickles out of farmhouse chimneys.

Everything sparkling under a fresh blanket of snow and the sky a brilliant blue.

It's slow-going, but Jennie keep off the highways.

Stick to the country roads.

Take random, unplanned turns with no destination in mind.

When they stop for gas, Lisa shows her phone. There's a stream of missed calls and new texts, all from 773, 847, and 312 Seoul-area phone numbers.

They open the messaging app.

Lisa—It's Jennie, pls call me back at this number immediately.

Lisa, this is Jennie. First of all, I love you. There's so much I have to tell you. Pls call me as soon as you get this.

Lisa, you're going to be hearing from a bunch of other Jennies if you haven't already. Your head must be spinning. I am yours. You are mine. I love you forever. Call me the moment you get this.

Lisa, the Jennie you're with is an imposter. Call me.

Lisa you are not safe. The Jennje you're with isn't who you think she is. Call me right away.

None of them love you like I do. Call me, Lisa. Pls. Begging you. Love you.

I will kill them all for you and fix this. Say the word. I will do anything for you.

They both stopped reading, put a block on each number, and delete the messages.

But one text in particular calls out to Jennie.

It's not from an unknown number.

It's from Jennie.

Her cell number. She's had her phone all this time. Since the night she grabbed Jennie off the street.

You're not home, not answering your cell. You must know. All I can say is that I love you. That's why. My time with you has been the best of my life. Pls call me. Hear me out.

Jennie turns off both her and Lisa's phone.. "We have to leave them off," She say. "From here on out. Any one of them could track us if they're transmitting."

As the afternoon turns toward evening and the sun begins to slip, they drive into their destination.

The road is empty.

They are alone in there.

They have taken numerous summer vacations near that place but never ventured that far north. And never in winter. Jennie and Lisa go miles without seeing any signs of civilization, and each town they pass through seems smaller than the one before — crossroads in the middle of nowhere.

A hard silence has taken hold inside the Jeep Cherokee, and Jennie is not sure how to break it.

Or rather, that she have the courage to.

All your life you're told you're unique. An individual. That no one on the planet is just like you.

It's humanity's anthem.