Chapter 26

The trip was silent.

For Lisa, it's a lot to take in. Having to meet and wake up next to the love of your life every day sounds so beautiful to her and yet, now, she feels all these internal conflict on whether all those times spent with other Jennie makes her a cheater.

For Jennie, it's a lot harder to control. Control in a sense that having the person you have ever loved next to you again, after experiencing all those life threatening situations. It's hard to contain your happiness when all you ever wanted is finally next to you.

And Jennie didn't control it any longer, She crashes into Lisa and squeeze her tight and say, "God, I've missed you," before Jennie even think to stop herself.

Lisa just grab hold of her arm and pulls her Jennie closer to her. She glances around and asks with a shaky voice, "Where to now?"

Jennie thought about it on the drive over from the police station-someplace big and bustling, where even if one of the other Jennies followed them, then they could easily blend into a crowd. Now Jennie second-guess that choice.

She think of three alternates-Seoul Park Conservatory, the observation deck of the YG tower, and the Daejeon National Cemetery. Daejeon feels like the safest option, the most unexpected. And Jennie is similarly drawn to YG and Seoul Park. So she go against her instinct and swing back to her first choice.

She tells Lisa, "Water Tower Place."

They ride, hands intertwined, in silence into the city.

As the buildings of downtown edge closer, Lisa's cell phone vibrates.

She looks at the screen and then hands it over so Jennie can see the text she just received.

It's a 773 number Jennie doesn't recognize.

Lisa, it's Jennie. I'm texting you from a strange number, but I'll explain everything when I see you. You're in danger.

Where are you? Please call me back ASAP. I love you so much.

Lisa looks scared out of her mind.

The air inside the car is prickling with electricity.

Their driver turns onto an avenue, which is clogged with lunch-hour traffic.

The yellowed limestone of the Seoul Water Tower looms in the distance, dwarfed by the surrounding skyscrapers that line the expansive avenue of the

Magnificent Mile.

The Escalade pulls to a stop at the main entrance, but Jennie ask the driver to drop them underground instead.

From Chestnut Street, they descend into the darkness of a parking garage.

Four levels down, Jennie tells the driver to stop at the next bank of elevators. As far as she can see, no other cars have followed them in.

Their door slams echo off the concrete walls and columns as the SUV pulls away.

Water Tower Place is a vertical mall, with eight floors of boutique and luxury stores built around a chrome-and-glass atrium.

Jennie and Lisa ride up to the mezzanine level, which houses all the restaurants, and step off the glass elevator.

The snowy weather has brought the crowds indoors.

For the moment at least, Jennie feels perfectly anonymous.

They find a bench off in a quiet corner, out of the flow of foot traffic.

Sitting beside Lisa, Jennie thinks that all the other Jennies in Chicago at that moment are willing to do anything, willing to kill, just to be where she's sitting.