When a ghost ran away

A single kiss...

...Those red Converse...

...Six days.

"Babe, you said we weren't doing Valentine's Day this year."

"I know, honey. But I just couldn't help it. Do you not like your present?"

"No, I love it. Thank you."

Rags watched the ensuing kiss scene on TV attentively. She placed herself in the female lead's shoes, wondering what it would feel like to have someone's lips pressed against her own. Her living-self would have known, at least she hoped so. It'd only add salt to her wounds to know she had died without ever getting her first kiss.

Rags's eyes moved to the red box of chocolates in the woman's hands. The bright color triggered the equally vivid shade of red shoes in her dream last night. That reminded her that there was a kiss scene in her dream as well. And just like now, she wasn't the one to experience it but rather stood as a spectator in the distance. She couldn't make out either face of the couple though, only the specific shoe choice of the male figure. That one image gave her a complex blend of emotions, none of which were remotely close to positive.

"Hey, Rags," Archer called out, walking to the front door with his two friends. "We're about to go get some breakfast. Do you want to join?"

"Sure. But who am I possessing?"

Both Archer and Skyler turned their heads to Cooper who was already pointing to himself. Cooper said, "Look, I don't appreciate having things involuntarily put inside of me as much as the next guy, but like I did some thinking last night."

"Coops did some thinking for once?" Skyler was more surprised at the news than he should've been.

"Yeah, I know! I don't think deeply about things very often, but I did this time. And like I get it, Rags. If I was a ghost, I'd possess someone who didn't like the food I liked just so I could have a taste of life again too. And I already told you, I'm cool with you using my body for your pleasure, even if it isn't pleasurable for me."

"Aw, thanks, Coops," Rags replied, wanting to give her friend a hug for his consideration.

"That's really sweet of you to say and all, but do you have to word it like that?" Archer asked. "You make it sound like Rags wants to do something indecent with you."

Cooper shrugged. "It's just the way I move my mouth into certain positions to create noise."

"Why can't you just say 'the way I speak'?"

"Don't tell me how to live my life, man!"

"Okay, guys," Rags intervened before a small, insignificant argument commenced, which seemed to happen a lot with Cooper. "Even though I can't feel hunger, I'd like to go eat something already."

With that, Cooper quickly put his shoes on and stood at the doorway. He gestured his hand for Rags to come close. "Hop on board the Coops mobile."

Once Rags was in full control of Cooper's body, the three friends plus one ghost went to the same café they'd gone to last weekend. Archer frequented the place, usually to get some writing done for his novel, and in the process had collected enough stamps to get any drink for free. He wanted to use this opportunity to treat Rags.

This time, seeing there was a female worker behind the register, Skyler didn't ditch his friends like last time. In fact, he actually offered to pay. He placed his order for Archer and himself before letting Archer add Rags's favorite combo to the list.

"We'd also like a banana bread and a Frappuccino with extra whipped cream and strawberry syrup instead of chocolate."

Rags smiled, touched Archer remembered exactly what she had last time. She could taste the sweet flavors already.

However, things turned bitter when the worker said, "Sorry, sir, but we don't have the option to add different syrup here."

"Are you sure? We could last time," Archer replied.

"Maybe it was at a different café. As far as I know, we've never had that option."

"But there was definitely a male worker here who made it for us a week ago."

"A male worker?"

Just then, the man in question walked out of the bathroom and approached the counter. He didn't notice any of the three customers at first.

The female worker asked, "Hey, Jack, did we ever add the option for strawberry syrup on our Frappuccino?"

"S-Strawberry syrup...?"

The three friends turned their heads to Jack to which the worker locked eyes with Cooper's. He instantly recognized the face.

Initially, Rags wasn't sure why the man was staring at her with a look of shock. But then, her gaze went to his shoes.

Red converse.

A sickening feeling arose from the pit of Rags's stomach. Her throat constricted, making it very difficult to breathe—almost as if she was drowning. She ran out of the café without looking back. She didn't know why she was reacting like this, only that she had to get out of there as soon as possible.