Chapter 1

"Leaving. We're leaving. Let's pack up. Looks like you and me are taking a little vacation. Forever." Hiccup yelled with the echoing cove as he set down his basket by the nearest rock and began to fiddle with his harness as the Night Fury creeps up behind him.

The Night Fury, which Hiccup named, Toothless, coos grabbing the boy's attention.

"I don't know if you heard, but we're leaving bud." Hiccup sarcastically states to his friend.

He didn't particularly show any sadness and hesitation, yet somehow, Toothless sensed it as he rubbed his head against the rider to comfort him, in which Hiccup softly laughs.

"Thanks for trying to cheer me up bud. Truth is, I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't want to kill a dragon, especially not for their entertainment. But I don't want to disappoint my dad either. He is finally proud of me, and if he sees who I actually am, I'll never be able to live it down. I'll continue being nothing but some pathetic kid to him. And well, pretty much everyone else." Hiccup confesses.

Toothless purred as he rested his head on the conflicted rider making him smile at his attempts of comfort. The silence consumed them as they sat wondering what they should actually do.

Crack. Clunk.

The sound of pebbles hitting the ground caused Hiccup and Toothless to perk up. They followed the noise of falling rocks. It was Astrid, perched up on the very same spot Hiccup had dropped his pencil and staring down at them with an indescribable face. One thing Hiccup knew for sure was, that face was not a happy one.

"Come on bud. Let's go." He whispered hurriedly putting on my basket and climbing on Toothless.

Hiccup opened up the tail wing and immediately got off the ground and flew straight to Astrid's direction then quickly maneuvering by changing directions to fly upwards, blowing past her and causing her to fall backwards. Not daring to look back, they headed for Berk.

As they flew over the village, a scene catches Hiccup's eyes. His father happily laughing with other villagers. He shakes his head trying to push down his doubts.

They fly over the arena and land in front of the gates. Hiccup was not going to let these dragons be killed especially not to entertain the small minds of his tribe. Quickly opening the gates, Hiccup open the doors to free the dragons before he is spotted by other villagers. The dragons aggressively and quickly head for the gates and fly up above the arena.

A thin layer of sweat was visible on Hiccup as he ran to Toothless. They flew up meeting the other dragons in the air. Hiccup looked down at the arena and knew what needed to be done.

"Come on bud. How about we make this look like an accident aye?" He rhetorically asked. Toothless happily complies and spits out 3 plasma blasts destroying most of the arena. The arena was engulfed in black smoke, and the metal dome creaked loudly as it collapsed into the arena.

They slowly flew away with the other dragons before taking one last look at the place Hiccup once called home. The place where he lived everyday disappointing his dad just by existing. The place he tried so hard to fit in, but just never could.

Hiccup didn't really know what he should feel. He wasn't happy but he wasn't upset either. The closest word that could describe his current emotions was, empty.

Back in Berk

Astrid ran as fast as she could to tell the Chief and entire village what she had just witnessed. Her heart and mind were racing. Adrenaline coursed through her veins, she was so focused she blocked so many animal sounds that surrounded her and focusing on getting back to Berk and warning the Chief that his son had been taken by a vicious dragon.

BOOM! CRACK!

The loud explosions didn't stop Astrid as she was too focused on Hiccup. She had to tell Stoick so he could save him from the vicious dragon. Finally clearing past the trees, she immediately ran down to the village. But as soon as she arrived, she didn't expect to see vikings all scattered and running around in a panic, preparing for battle with dragons. As much as she wanted to do the same, she needed to find the Chief.

"Has anyone seen the Chief?" Astrid yelled to all of the Vikings currently scurrying around hoping for an answer. No one heard.

"Astrid!" Fishlegs ran up to her in a panic.

"The Arena is on fire!" He yelled but quickly bent down breathing heavily trying to catch his breath. Astrid looked over at the direction of the Arena. A sea of black flames engulfed the entire arena.

"No time for that. Where is the Chief?! Hiccup has taken." Astrid explained to him while still frantically searching for Stoick.

In a flash, Fishlegs straightened upright and grabbed Astrid's shoulder lightly shaking her, shocked at the news of Hiccup.

"Huh?! Hiccup's been kidnapped?! By what?!"

"I think it was a Night Fury."

Two months later

It's been 2 months since Hiccup's disappearance, needless to say Stoick was hit hard. Losing both his son and wife had only increased his hatred for dragons. Many of the days he would randomly lock himself inside his house and leave his duties to Spitelout.

It wasn't an easy choice, but looking for Hiccup any longer wouldn't have been a wise choice due to the weather. As needed Stoick called off the search 1 month in and declared Hiccup as dead.

Hiccup was given a traditional viking funeral without a body where instead of the body being cremated on a pyre it was replaced Hiccup's belongings. The pyre was constructed to make the smoke as massive as possible to elevated Hiccup to Valhalla.

After the pyre, the funeral feast and festivities would usually be filled with laughter. Although it was filled with laughter, there were a few who couldn't help but be seen with a solemn look. As surprising as it was, Snotlout was affected by Hiccup's death despite having bullied him relentlessly since toddler years. Fishlegs was without a knowledgeable partner to share dragon facts with.  The twins were without a victim for their pranks and although they did feel somewhat remorseful, they couldn't fully grasp what exactly happened to Hiccup.

Gobber, like Stoick, was hit hard with Hiccup's death. Having basically raised the boy with Stoick, Hiccup was family to him. Although he didn't say it often, Gobber loved that kid. He stored many of Hiccup's little inventions in the back room forbidding anyone to touch them. 

Astrid on the other hand wasn't as affected as the others. Sure she missed that twig figured boy, no one else could've dropped the axe and almost cutting off his toes while sharpening it like he did. Yet even as infuriating as he was and weird and cringey at times, he was still someone who shouldn't have had their life taken so early.

Updated: 1/3/2023

CHANGES

- How Hiccup left Berk.
- He frees the dragons and destroys the arena.
- Gave a description of the traditional Viking Funeral I was talking about since some, including me, got confused on what type of funeral I was talking about.
- More descriptive.
- Got rid of the (Character Pov)