2. False Hope

Nothing in is so painful to a human mind than a sudden and great change.

Listen to 'Just a dream' by Carrie Underwood.

"Ms Greene, officer Mason wants to talk to you." Archie's voice came through the intercom.

"Transfer it." I tell her.

She says a faint yes and ends the line. A fraction of seconds later, the intercom starts ringing again. I press the speaker button.

"Katherine Greene speaking." I say without taking my eyes off the file in my hand.

"Ms Greene, it's officer Mason here. I just called to update you on our recent progress on your case. Mr Black has been spotted in Dallas a few weeks ago and just yesterday he was spotted near Las Vegas. A search team has been sent there and we are expecting positive results." The officer informs.

I drop my file on the table and pick up the receiver. "Officer, can I ask you for a favor?"

"If it is anything within my reach then yes, you may Ms Greene." He replies.

"If you get positive results, then only contact me. These false hopes leads to great disappointments. And I don't think I can bear this for long."

I hear a sigh from the other end. "Of course Ms Greene, I understand."

"Have a good day officer." I bid him farewell.

"Same Ms Greene." And he ends the line. I hold onto the receiver for some time before putting it back in it's place.

"Are you alright?" I look up and see Archie peeping through the cabin's door.

"I think so." I say. Archie then enters the cabin and walks over to me. She takes my hand in hers and tugs on it, motioning me to get up. I do. She takes me to the couch at the other end of the room. We both sit down on it.

"What you did was the right thing to do. I'm proud of you."

"I don't know. I'm just tired. I feel old. Lifeless. Motive less. It's like I have nothing to live for." I confess.

She puts her hands on mine and gives it a squeeze. "You have a lot of people to live for. A lot of people depend on you for their livelihood. And then there's us. Your friends, your family, your siblings." I just nod at her words.

"It's just so hard. The pain is so unbearable sometimes."

"You are not planning on hurting yourself again are you? Cause if you are wipe that thought off your mind this instant or else I'm gonna chain you in a empty room and won't let you out until you're old."

I let out a half hearted chuckle at her words. "Don't worry. I won't do anything."

She smiles at me. "I'm glad that you are accepting the fact that Chris is not coming back."

I instantly get on my feet. "I never said that. Chris is coming back. He will."

Archie shakes her head at me. "You are living in denial Kathy. Chris is a free man now. He would have returned if he wanted to. He doesn't want to come back."