13. Baby Steps

Memories warm you up from inside but, they also tear you up.

Listen to 'Both of us' by Taylor Swift

Night

I was just about to leave my room and go to Chris's for dinner when the door opens. I know who it is without even turning. I've learned everyone's form of entering.

Alex enters without knocking or hesitating. Justin fiddles with the door knob for a moment giving a kind of warning and then enters. Victor and Greg, like decent human beings, knocks and then enters. They knock, wait for a second and then enter whether I've given permission or not.

These people could should be taught manners and etiquettes.

"I brought you something." She says. I turn to face her.

"I have to go to Chris's. I'll see whatever it is tomorrow." I tell.

She raises a brow. "You're going in that." She points to my outfit.

"What's wrong with it?" I ask.

"Everything." She says and tosses me a paper bag. I catch .

"You seriously have to stop throwing stuff at me." I say and look inside the bag. Inside is a really beautiful, dark blue dress and makeup kit.. and a set of sexy lingerie? "The dress, I understand. But why the lingerie?" I question.

"What if things get hot and all, you know. I want you to look breathtaking and there's no way I'm allowing you to wear that turn off innerwear." She explains.

"Okay, seriously, nothing like that would happen. The rekindling has just started. And you are the one who advised me to take baby steps." I argue.

She sighs. "K, but atleast change your dress." She pleads. I nod my head in acceptance. "I would get going now." She says.

"Why so soon?" I ask.

"Tommorow is Justin's birthday and I haven't arranged a cake yet. We always do the cake cutting at midnight on birthdays but I forgot to order the cake." Alex panics.

"No worries, I'll make one, after I come back from the dinner. It'll hardly take an hour." I say calmly.

"You can do that?"

"Yeah I'm a pretty good cook."

"Thankyou thankyou so much. You're a life saver." She exaggerates.

"Oh, I already know that." We both chuckle

"Now dress up quickly you're running out of time." She tells looking at her wrist watch. "I'm gonna go check on the stock. Best of luck." And she rushes out of the room.

I quickly put on the blue dress. It's actually midnight blue with small white spots and blur lining on the upper half. It stops a good three inches above my knees. I look like midnight sky. I grin at the thought and put on some liner and cute pink lipstick. I check myself in the bathroom mirror and decide that I look fine.

I try to avoid being seen by anyone as I make my way to the elevator. I don't know what they'll make out of me if they saw me like this here. I've already confused them by appearing at the bidding. A low image in everyone's eye is the least thing I need right now.