27. A Beautiful Dream

Listen to 'The last time' by Taylor Swift

Some hours later

I land in Charlotte, North Carolina. I'm back home now, back in my city. I didn't cry during the whole flight which is really shocking even for me. I was just numb. The airhostess had to give me a shake to tell me that we have landed.

I've collected my luggage and am walking to the main doors of the airport. I take out the iPhone Chris gave me and call Gabriel. He picks up on the second ring. I guess he was waiting for me to call.

"Gabriel Bennett here." He greets. His warm, homely voice drives me over the edge. It takes everything in me not to cry.

"It's Katherine here Gabe. I need someone to drive me to the city hospital." I say.

"Kathy. You're back in town? Ok ok wait right there, I am coming to get you." He says excitedly and ends the line.

It isn't long before Gabriel arrives. And along with him comes the paparazzi. I drag my suitcase out of the main doors and the paparazzi block my way.

"Ms Greene, are you going to the hospital?" One asks.

"Where were you for so long?" Another asks.

Gabriel jogs up to me and engulfs me in a tight hug. I melt in his arms and sob a little in his chest. The airport security guards pushes the paparazzi away and Gabriel walks me to his car. There he puts my bag in the booty of his car while I get inside the shotgun.

Gabriel jumps inside the driver's seat soon and we drive away.

"How is she?" I ask him.

"The doctors are operating her right now and we can't say anything for certain." He tells.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I question.

"I.. I don't know. When you called me on your birthday, you sounded so happy. I didn't hear that voice of yours in years and I didn't want to ruin your time with Chris." He confesses.

"But it still got ruined. Everything got ruined. You shouldn't have let me go. Now everything hurts ten times more then it used to." I tell and sob again.

Gabriel places his hand over mine and gives it a squeeze but doesn't say anything. "What happened?" He asks softly after a while.

"I can't talk about it right now. Right now, my family needs me and I am going to be there for them." I say and wipe the moisture clouding my eyes.

We stay silent after that. When he pulls up in front of the hospital, I dart out of the car and into the hospital doors.

I jog to the receptionist's desk. "Aura Greene. Tell me in where she is." I demand.

The receptionist doesn't even look up. "What is your relation with her?" She asks looking at her manicured hands.

"I'm her daughter." I try not to lose my patience.

"You have to fill in these details.." She hands me a paper and pen, still not looking up.

"I'm Katherine Greene and if you don't tell me where my mom is within the next five seconds, I'll make sure you are fired from this hospital and that you don't get a job for the rest of your life." I say, my voice radiating power.