16. Pain

You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

Listen to 'Flashlight' by Jessie J

I was nearly asleep when Chris enters the room. He sits by my side and helps me sit up. He then hands me some pills and a glass of water. I gulp down the pills.

"I've set up the table. Let's go." He says and helps me out of the bed. When I'm on the ground, he lifts me up in his arms in bridal style.

"I can walk you know." I say but from inside, I wanted him to carry me out. I love being in his arms.

"But it feels nice caring for you. Afterall you rarely let anyone care about yourself." He starts walking out of the room with me in his arms.

"That's not true." I protest.

"That so is." He puts me down on my feet near the dining table. And when I sit down on the chair, he pushes the chair forward.

We eat dinner peacefully with a little chit chat. I tell about Luke and Johanna's cute actions and fights.

"They sound really cute and.. enthusiastic." He says chuckling.

"They so are. They were my source of joy the past years." That's when I realise how much I miss them. It's just been five days and I'm dying to see them already.

"Let's take one more step forward Kathy." He says putting his hand on mine.

"What?" I ask, not paying attention.

He takes in a deep breath. "I'll tell you what happened with me, tonight. Why I wasn't able to come back. Why I had to become what I am. Why I had to boycott my loved ones."

Now I was listening. I nod somberly. "Go ahead."

"So as you already know, Blake, Tim and their father kidnapped me. They took me to Florida, I don't know how to crossed the security check but they did because someone on the inside was helping them. Whatever. I don't care about that anymore.
For the three months they kept me chained in a prison cell. Everyday they would just give me a glass of water and a piece of bread. I don't know how I survived those months."

Even though I never experienced any of that, I am feeling like I am experiencing them now. A tear drop escapes from my eye. "I'm so sorry." I say in a whispery tone. "Because of me, you went through so much."

Chris places his hand on my right cheek and wipes away the tear. "It wasn't your fault. None of this ever was. And I was glad at that time that they brought me instead of you cause I would have done anything to save you from that kind of treatment." He tells honestly, bringing his hand down and placing it over mine.

"So during those three months, they would beat me whenever they felt like, punch the life out me sometimes. After those three months, they brought me out of the cell and started training me. I was too lifeless at that time to even protest or plan an escape or something like that. I did what they told me to.

They trained me to be stone hearted, cold and dangerous. They made me beat the kids. At first I didn't agree and they then beat me up till the point that I couldn't get up for days. I couldn't keep going like that so I had to beat kids for surviving." By now, I can see water in his beautiful green eyes.