[5] Leaving Tonight

Song: Leaving Tonight by The Neighborhood(I thiiiink this goes with this chapter?)

Is this moving too fast? I feel like it is, but I had no idea what else more could happen between the beginning and Mark killing Vic

Y/n's POV

I was sitting in what I assumed was Mark's car. My hands were shaking and I still couldn't accept that I am leaving with a group of guys I just met. I could see one of the older ladies next door on her porch standing with her arms crossed. Her front door was open, occasionally yelling into it, probably talking to the other lady. I assumed they were Sherri and Carrol that Seán had mentioned earlier.

I couldn't help but feel like I was a problem with the guys. They have to worry about me not saying anything, or doing something to cause them to be found. It was tempting to call the police when they were still in the house, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It felt wrong, for some reason.

My hands were shaking in my lap. I still couldn't wrap my head around this. Mark killed somebody. For all I know, that might not be his first victim. Seán said they just got away from all of this. Ethan sounded like they've done this multiple times. They all sounded like they knew what they were doing.

After a couple of minutes in the car, the guys start piling out of the house with a backpack hanging from one shoulder. The older lady from the other house had already gone inside, but I'm sure she'll be back. All the guys pile their bags in the trunk of the car I'm sitting in. Mark quickly hops into the drivers seat of the car, Tyler and Ethan in the back. Bob, Wade, and Felix jump into the truck next to us. No one said a word as Mark sped off out of the neighborhood, Bob, Wade, and Felix behind us.

Mark's expression was hard to figure out. I couldn't tell if he was mad or throwing on that face he always has whenever I saw him in public. His brown eyes hard, lips slightly pushed together, and eyebrows pushed down a little. Ethan was staring out the window like a sad child, mindlessly playing with a thread on his jeans. Tyler looked annoyed. Like a teenager who just got in an argument with their parents.

"Where do you live?" Mark asked, returning to that attitude he always had.

"University of Southern California." I answer, turning my gaze to the window. The car falls back to silence. It wasn't difficult to hear to sirens and see the blue and red lights passing us on the other side of the street. None of the boys' expressions changed at that. It was as if they didn't hear it.

"Who was that guy?" I asked, my eyes still trained on the dark trees blurring past us.

Mark sighed, twisting the steering wheel. "I don't think now is the right time."

"You've killed other people, haven't you?" I mumbled.

Ethan's attention was now on Mark and me in the front seats. Tyler payed no attention to our conversation.

"Not now, Y/n." Mark shook his head.

I didn't listen to him. I wanted answers, and I didn't feel like waiting for them. "What did you do to that guy he was talking about?"

It was silent for a while. I thought he was ignoring me, but before I could ask my next question, Mark spoke. "Vic Welters. I put his brother in the hospital and he wanted me to pay for the bills."

Thats all he said. He sounded aggravated, so I decided not to push my luck of not being killed yet and sat quietly.

It was almost three in the morning when he pulled into the parking lot closest to the girls' dorm. Before I got out, Mark stopped me.