[15] Runaway

Song: Runaway by AURORA

I broke down in math today because of multiple stupid reasons. That resulted in looking like a stupid crybaby(they call you cRY BABY, CRY BABY, BUT YOU DON'T FUCKIN' CARE-), a lot of weird looks, an awkward conversation with my teacher, and people I've never talked to before trying to "help" me. Life is great :')

Y/n's POV

The cabinets had a lot of food inside them, but it felt like nothing was there. My stomach was grumbling loudly as I searched for something to eat. Mark sat quietly in the living room not to far away from me, searching through Netflix on the TV mounted on the wall opposite him. His back was facing me, so all I could see was his dampened hair and broad shoulders.

The two of us just got back from the dock. The sun was completely down and the clock read 10:13pm. We were down there for a few more hours after the whole police incident. Mark hid our bags behind a big rock by the dock when I was already under the dock waiting for Mark. Nothing else weird has happened and we haven't had to be worried about something going wrong, which was really nice. We've spent the day down on the dock messing around and sometimes sitting in silence, knowing the other is comfortably next to us. It's all been nice.

Back at the house, I felt like I had an opportunity to get to know Mark better. To possibly get him to open up and maybe confide in me. I'm not getting my hopes up, though. I knew he may shut down my every attempt, but I had to at least try. I wanted to be someone he could trust, someone who he look to if he needed any help. I couldn't just stand by his side and let him do everything on his own like he wanted to. Though he may act like he can handle all of it, I knew it was going to become too much for him one day. He needed help but he wouldn't admit it. I could be the person to help him. We're all we have.

Opening another cabinet, I spot a pack of beer. Why am I not surprised? Looking back to Mark, I decided to use this to start a conversation.

"Something Seth always has to have near him: Beer." I stated, pointing to the box as Mark glanced back. He slightly shook his head with a small grin. I would be lying if I said I wasn't proud of making him smile, even if it was just a little thing you could barely see. I turn back to the case, debating if I should take one or not. "You want one?" I asked Mark.

"Can't drink, remember?" He grumbled.

The feeling of guilt came over me. I quietly closed the small door and gave up on finding something to eat. Maybe we could just order something. Silently, I fell back onto the couch next to Mark.

"Why can't you drink, anyway?" I asked, fearing the outcome this may have. "You don't look underage. And out of all laws, I highly doubt that would be the one you'd follow."

Mark sighed. "It's something most Koreans have. It's called 'Asian flush.' Something about enzymes, blah blah. Basically, I can't process and assimilate alcohol correctly."

I nodded, making sure to remember the information. Suddenly, I remember the party I went to with Amora. "That party we first met at, you were drinking alcohol."

Mark shook his head. "No, I didn't. I was drinking Coke."

"Are you sure?" I grin, not sure about his answer.

He let out an airy laugh. "Yes, I think I know what I didn't drink because I knew it would kill me."

I released a small laugh. Mark returned to searching Netflix for anything that sounded interesting. Sitting on the white couch, facing the only person I knew at the moment, and my arm propped on the back of the sofa, my mind began to wander off.