Chapter 1

[ This Wheel's on Fire ]

Lisa Manoban sat in the library, making notes for her History test. She became aware of a hovering behind her. It was an insistent hover, a hover that craved her attention, so she did her best to ignore it as long as she could.

"Kim," she said eventually, when she couldn't stand it any longer. The other girl slumped gratefully into the chair opposite.

"Hey," she said, brightly. "Whatcha doing?"

Lisa looked pointedly at her pen, then at her notepad, then at the open book in front of her, then back at Jennie.

"I'm pony-trekking in the Andes. What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Oh, right. Sorry. Well, the thing is," Jennie said. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Okay." Lisa put down her pen and waited patiently. Jennie opened and closed her mouth a few times, as though practicing what she was going to say.

"I was just wondering," she said, finally, "What you wanted to do after school."

"I'm busy," Lisa said, flatly.

"It's just that... What?"

"I've got revision to do for this last exam, and then Bobby needs me to go over to help him rehearse for some stupid audition."

"No, I mean after school, school. We'll graduate in a few weeks, Lisa."

"Really? Man, I have got to get me a diary, and make a note of this kind of thing."

Jennie sighed. "Look, I just wanted to know if you were, you know, planning on staying in touch. With... everyone."

"I guess," Lisa shrugged. "I'm pretty sure Bobby's going to, so I suppose I'll have to put up with them all once in a while."

"Oh." Jennie picked at a fingernail. "Right."

There seemed to be something more. "Am I missing something, Kim?"

"No, it's just... I was really wondering if you were planning to... I mean you don't have to, obviously, but-"

"What?"

"I wondered if you wanted to stay in touch with me."

Lisa was a little taken aback. She widened her eyes into an expression of bemusement. "With you?" She said, in mock horror.

She wasn't sure what she'd expecting from Jennie, but she wasn't prepared for the look of absolute devastation on the other girl's face. She looked as though she'd been slapped. The chair scraped
back and hit the floor, and she was gone.