Chapter 2

[ Surprise, Surprise ]

A year later

.

Jennie finished wiping down the counter. It was a slow day, and she'd be due for a lunch break in half an hour, so she restacked the coffee cups for the fifteenth time and was just about to sit down when a customer came in.

Or at least a hat came in, with a customer underneath it. She couldn't see much of the hat's owner save a large pair of sunglasses and a hint of ruby lips.

"Hi," she said. "What can I get you?"

The customer looked at her from under the hat. "How about," she said, "A nice big cup of 'Let's Stay In Touch', my Ass."

Jennie's brain ground to a halt, not least because of the disturbing juxtaposition of the words 'touch' and 'my ass'. "What?"

The hat and glasses were removed to reveal a grinning Lalisa Manoban. "Hey," she said. "How's it going?"

"Lisa? Oh my God. What are you doing here?"

"I just dropped by to make you feel like a terrible friend. And for coffee."

"But-"

"Although I've gotta say, the service is pretty crappy. Maybe I'll go someplace else." She made to leave.

"What? No!" Jennie grabbed her arm. "Don't you dare. You just sit right there and put up with my crappy service."

Lisa sighed, theatrically. "Okay, fine." She sat back down. "So?"

Jennie was still staring at her. "So...?"

"So, am I going to get either coffee, or a 'Hello', or both?"

Jennie laughed and leaned across the counter to pull her into an awkward hug. "It's good to see you," she said.

"Yeah, you too. Black, no sugar."

"What?"

"Coffee?"

Jennie rolled her eyes and busied herself with coffee. "So, what are you doing here?" She said, as she worked.

"I told you, I came to see you."

"You came all the way here just to see me?" Jennie said in surprise. "That's an eight hour drive."

"Yeah, well. I'm your dangerous friend, remember? I do crazy stuff. No, no more hugging," she said, as Jennie looked ready to move in again. "Anyway, you didn't answer any of my emails and stuff, so I..." Lisa looked slightly embarrassed. "I was worried about you."

"Oh, Lisa."

"I mean, not really worried, you know, just..."

"I'm so sorry," Jennie said. "It's just it's been kind of hectic, what with college, and working here, and everything. I really meant to."