Chapter 20

Panic At The Disco

Jennie watched as Lisa led the way through the club, hips swaying, a nudge here, a shove there, clearing space without slowing, moving through the crowd like an explorer through the jungle, the expert swing of the machete making progress seem effortless.

Of course, if Lisa had an actual machete, things might have been even quicker.

It occurred to her that she'd never seen the blonde look more at home than she did right now. Generally, Lisa always seemed slightly out of place, ill at ease, as though she were struggling to maintain her dignity in a world of baffling disappointment, like a Shakespearean actor forced to do dog food commercials.

They reached the bar, and ordered a couple of drinks. There wasn't much in the way of discussion over this.

"I'll have a dry white-"

"Here." Lisa thrust a bottle of beer into the brunette's hand.

"… beer. Thanks." She took it. Jennie didn't normally drink beer, just occasionally. She then took a sip.

"So," Lisa anticipates, turning and resting her elbows behind her on the bar, an act that stretched her T- shirt across her chest in a way that made Jennie's drink go down the wrong way. "What do you think?"

"Wow," Jennie croaked. It dawned on her that Lisa was inviting comment on the club, rather than her small but perky tits. "I mean, pretty cool."

"You think so? I don't really come here much, but the music's okay." She took a lazy swig from her bottle. "Do you want to dance? Or sit down?"

"Um… sit."

They made their way over to a table, garnering a few admiring glances. Some of those glances were directed at Jennie's big heart, much to the Thai girl's annoyance.

"People are looking at you."

"Am I embarrassing you?"

"What? No, why would you even think of that. I mean people are looking at you like... 'that'."

"What do you mean, 'like that'?"

"Like they want to... you know."

"Like I'm hot?"

"Yeah."

"What's wrong with that? I want people to think I'm hot."

"No you don't."

"I'm pretty sure I do."

"Well I don't."

"What?"

"I don't want people looking at you."

"Why not?"

It occurred to Lisa too late that there was no reason she could give that wouldn't sound ridiculous.

"Er..."

"Are you jealous?"

"No! I just think it's... demeaning to you as a woman."

"Right. And that's why you're dressed like that, is it? You go, sister. Fight the power."

"You know, I think I preferred it when you were terrified of me. All this uppityness is getting on my nerves."

"Pfft. You love it, really."

"Well, maybe. But the point is, I didn't bring you here so could flaunt yourself at every passing-"

"Hi!"

"Beat it, asswipe."

"Lisa!"

"You see?" The blonde said irritated, as the interloper scuttled away. "Look, if you think I'm sleeping on my own sofa tonight so you can shack up in my room with some... person that you've pulled in a nightclub, then you've got another thing coming."