Chapter 5

[ The Morning After ]

Lisa entered the diner, to find that its erstwhile waitress had been replaced by an untidy brunette heap snoring gently on the counter.

"Hey."

Jennie remained resolutely face down. "Umf," she managed, indistinctly.

"You know, I'm surprised you don't get more customers in here, what with your sunny disposition and sparkling repartee."

"'ut up." Jennie's arms wrapped themselves tighter around her head.

"So is it self-service now, or should I come back later?"

"Do you remember," said a muffled voice, "When you drove me through the desert on the way to school? And you were going to kill me with a shovel and bury me there?"

"Well, I wasn't really going to-"

"Could we do that now, please?"

"Ah. Got a little hangover, there, Miss Kim?"

"No, I haven't got a little hangover," Jennie said, grimly, prising her cheek away from the plastic surface and laying it down again on a cooler spot. "I have got the worst hangover ever experienced by any living thing, ever, since time began."

"You know what's good for a hangover?"

"What? And if you say 'drinking heavily the night before', I am going to stab you in the face with my order spike." An arm unfurled itself from around her head and felt around on the counter. "If I can find it."

Lisa saw it, and carefully moved it out of reach. "Come on," she said. "It can't be that bad. I feel fine."

There was a low gurgle from the pile of hair and arms on the counter that constituted the mortal remains of Jennie Kim

"I hate you, Lalisa Manoban," it said. "With a passion you can only dream of."

"Yeah, I get that a lot," Lisa said, cheerfully. "Come on, I'll buy you lunch."

"It's lunchtime?" Jennie finally peeled her face off the counter and stood upright, the look of horror on her face visible beneath a mass of tangled hair and mayonnaise. "Oh, no! I'm supposed to be at college!"

"When?"

Jennie glanced at her watch. "About five minutes ago!" She disappeared into the kitchen for a short argument with her employer, before returning clutching her bag and coat and trying to fit all of them through the doorway at once.

"I'll drive you."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure. Come on."

They sat in Lisa's car as Jennie tried to wipe the mayonnaise from her face with a spare napkin. "I must look a mess," she groaned.

"Yep."

"Thanks."

Jennie gave up on wiping the mayonnaise off her face, and instead concentrated on trying to brush it out of her hair. After two minutes of pointlessly janking it around, she turned to Lisa. "How do I look?"

"Like you've been dragged backwards through a condiment bush. Why on earth didn't you wipe the counter before you decided to sleep on it?"

"Dang it!"

"You don't look fit for college."

"I'll be fine," Jennie took a deep breath. "All I need to do is... is... Oh God..."