Chapter 27

Goodbye to All That

Hey, this seems to have taken a while. I hated to leave it in the middle of a conversation, so let's just dive straight back into it and find out what Lisa's got planned and whether Jennie can talk her out of it.

.

.

.

"What?"

"Me!" Lisa repeated, spreading her arms even wider to increase the chance of the smaller girl falling into them in gratitude. But Jennie was still too befuddled to move.

"What do you mean, 'you'?"

"I mean me. I'm going to live here. With you."

"But... How is that going to work?" Jennie asked. "You can't drive to college every day from here, it's not physically possible."

"I won't need to."

"Then what, you're going to stay down there?" Jennie tilted her head, confused. "But how is that going to be any different from-"

"I'm leaving college."

"What do you mean, leaving college?"

"I'm going to leave. Give it up."

"What?"

"Well, it's not going great," Lisa said, with a shrug, "And if I'm honest I kind of hate it. So I'll just give it up, get a job, and support us both."

"Whoa, there," Jennie said, horrified. "Forget it. You are not leaving college for me."

"Why not? All I really want is to be a writer, and you don't need college for that. Just experience. Think about it, you can do your music thing, I'll work and write in the evenings, it'll be great."

"No!" Jennie disagreed. "No, no, no. No," she added for clarity. "No way. No."

"You don't want to live with me?"

"Of course I want to live with you, Lisa."

"Then what's the problem?"

"The problem," Jennie said, "Is that I'm not going to let you do something stupid."

"It's not stupid."

"Yes it is." Insists Jennie. "You're not doing it."

"It's my decision."

"No it isn't! Jesus, Lisa, this is not the way I want our relationship to start."

"What way?"

"With you just deciding stuff without talking to me!"
"I'm talking to you now."

"No, you're telling me now! Please, Lisa, don't do this. I had enough of this with Nana."

...

"Oh, I get it."

"What?"

"Every time I say something you don't agree with, you're going to say I'm just like Nana. Well, thanks, Kim."

"I'm not saying that!"

"She robbed you blind and she cheated on you, but me, I'm some kind of monster because I want to spend more time with you."