Chapter 12

Of All the Bars in All the World

Once every two weeks. Once a week. Twice a week.

.

.

.

"Why do you come here?"

They were sitting at a table outside a café on the far side of town. It was one of Nana's work nights, and they had plans later.

Lisa looked up in surprise. "What?" She said.

"I don't mean I don't want you here," Jennie said, quickly. "It's just... when we agreed to this, I thought it would be once a month, maybe. But now you're here every week. Twice a week, sometimes."

"You're sick of me already?"

"No! No. I'm just worried about you, that's all. Don't you have other stuff to do? What about college, and your other friends? I don't want you to neglect them."

"I do my college work in the hotel."

"And your friends?"

Lisa stayed silent, and stared into her coffee.

"Lisa?"

"Hmm?"

"I said, what about your other friends?"

"What about them?"

Jennie sighed. "I thought we talked about the whole 'sharing' thing," she said. "If you want to be my friend, you have to let me be yours, too. You have to open up to me once in a while."

"I know."

"So..?"

Lisa hesitated. "I don't have any other friends."

"What?"

"People don't like me."

"Oh, come on, Lisa," Jennie scoffed. "That's not true."

"It is," Lisa insisted. "Guys find me intimidating because I can't do the whole girlie thing, you know, flutter my eyelashes and drool over them, make them feel all big and manly like... like some girls can."

"Some girls? You mean me?"

"No," Lisa said. "Of course not."

"Good."

"Well, maybe a little."

"I don't drool over people!"

"You drooled over Taehyung."

"Yeah, and look how well that went," Jennie said. "He was just using me to get what he wanted."

"Yeah, well, it's what he wanted that makes him just a fucking idiot," Lisa said. "You were all over him. He had the chance to go all the way with the prettiest girl in the school, and he threw it all away for the sake of some dumb assignment. He deserved to have his car torched just for being so... wasteful."

"Well, I guess he... wait, what do you mean, all the way? I wasn't going to go all the way!"

"And the girls just flat out don't trust me," Lisa continued, ignoring her. "They all think I'm up to something."