Chapter 13

Careful What You Wish For

Ok, we're about halfway through now. Many thanks to those of you who've left a comment, vote and to those silent readers as well.

.

.

.

They walked towards the car, Jennie ahead, Lisa sneaking backward glances towards the bar door.

She half-expected Nana to come out after them, and relished the idea of finishing what they'd started, with or without Jennie's approval.

But the door stayed closed, so she double-stepped to catchup with the other girl. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Kim," she started, "I should have-"

"How could she?" Jennie turned, wild-eyed with anger. "How could she do that to me?"

"Well, I guess she-"

"Am I a bad girlfriend?" Jennie demanded, bitterly. "Is there something wrong with me?"

"What? No! God, no. I mean, I'm not one to judge, obviously, but-"

"So why? Why would she do that? And with that little... tramp in there. Why, for God's sake?"

"I don't know!" Lisa screamed, determined to get a complete sentence out. "Look, Jennie, I think we ought to-"

"Get away from me!"

"I... what?"

"This is your fault!" Jennie exclaimed. "If you hadn't come here, none of this would have happened! If I hadn't spent all my time with you, sneaking off, pretending to see crappy movies, if I'd been there more often, maybe she wouldn't have needed to go off with someone else!"

Lisa was speechless. She wasn't sure whether the shorter girl genuinely believed this, but she sure as hell wasn't going to let that go. "Get in the car," she growled.

"What?"

"Get in the fucking car, Jennie."

"Why?"

"I said you get in the goddamn car!"

"I'm not-" Jennie didn't have time to say anything else, before the blonde grabbed her by the arm and dragged her to the passenger door, bundling her through it. "Hey! You can't just-" She slammed the door and went back to the driver's side, yanking the door open and climbing in.

"This is abduction!" Jennie said, hotly.

"Think of it more as an intervention."

"What for?"

"For being a moron! Now listen up, Ruby Jane," she hissed, "I am not going to let you blame me for this, okay? I fought for this friendship, and I tried not to be pretty hurt by the fact that you didn't."

"That's not fair!"

"Shut up! What happened in there isn't your fault. You're a great girlfriend. If you were my girlfriend, I'd never stop pinching myself to make sure it was true. But it isn't my fault, either. This isn't the first time, Nini. This was going on long before I came on the scene."

"That's not true!"

"Where is she now? Where's Nana? Why isn't she out here right now, making a scene? Or on her knees begging for forgiveness? Or doing anything at all?"