Chapter 16

A Curate's Egg

Hi, many thanks for your reviews, all comments are welcome. So, who's going to make the next move?

.

.

.

Lisa awoke, with the memory of a bad dream, a headache, and a lack of Jennie beside her. All of these things were wrong, she decided, and so she set off in search of a remedy.

As she reached the bedroom door, she could hear voices from the kitchen. Well, one voice.

"...okay, you guys just stay there, that's it, just sit there while I... Hey! Where are you going? Get back here! Right, so who's first? You. Okay, here we go, nice and easy, seen this before, just give it a tap and... No! Nononononono! You're not supposed to go there! You're supposed to go in the...

Oh, man. Okay, don't panic, we just get the spatula, scoop it up, back in the pan, no one's gonna know, we'll clean up later, that's it... Right, who's next? Whoa! Come back! Don't you..."

There was a damp splat, followed by a low groan. Lisa eased herself through the door and watched.

The brunette was cooking eggs. Eggs she must have been out to the store and bought, because Lisa didn't have any in the house.

Jennie had made the schoolgirl error of taking them all out of the box and placing them in a little gaggle on the counter top, whereupon as soon as her back was turnedㅡ they raced lemming-like for the edge, willing to end it all rather than get involved in whatever catastrophe was going on in the pan.

She corralled her tiny army once more, and addressed them furiously.

"Right, that's it! I have had it with you! No more screwing around. You guys are gonna get your little yellow butts into this pan, or so help me I'm gonna take this spatula and I'm gonna-"

"Does everything okay?"

Jennie whirled, guiltily. "What? Yes!" She answered. "Everything's fine." She casually edged a foot sideways to cover up the broken egg on the floor. "I'm making breakfast."

"You don't have to do that," the blonde said, hopefully.

"I want to do it," Jennie insisted. "It's my way of saying thanks. Now sit down. It'll be a couple of minutes."

Resigned to her fate, Lisa sat. The sudden jolt made her head hurt, and she winced.

"You okay?" Jennie asked, concerned. "Are you sick or something?"

"I don't get sick."

"Why not?"

"It makes me feel gross and icky, so I don't do it. I've just got a headache."

"In that case you need..." There was a lot of clattering, and some light cursing. "…Breakfast!"

The Korean girl announced finally, putting the plate in front of her with a flourish. "They were going to be... I was going to... Well, anyhow, now they're scrambled."

"Thanks," Lisa said. She picked up a fork, and cautiously prodded the wobbling pile on her plate.

"They look... great." She bit her lip. She hadn't knowingly eaten an egg since she'd found out where they came from at the age of five, but Jennie's air of expectation was too much to bear. She speared a lump and put it in her mouth.

"What do you think?" Asked Jennie, when Lisa seemed to be having trouble swallowing. Her face fell. "It's awful, isn't it?"

"No," the Thai girl quickly said, her eyes watering. "Not at all."