Chapter 4

[ Dinner and Nearly Dancing ]

"This is so weird," said Jennie, as they sat down.

"What?"

"You and me. Sitting in a restaurant."

"No it isn't," Lisa said. "We've sat in restaurants hundreds of times. We were at Yamamoto's practically every week."

"I know, but... you know, voluntarily."

"I've never eaten in a restaurant against my will."

"Look, let me have my moment, okay?" Jennie said. "I've waited a long time for this. The least you can do is let me revel in it."

"I'm sorry," Lisa said. "Revel away."

"Thank you. Let's start again. This is so weird."

"Wow, no kidding. I never thought I'd see the day. No sirree."

"That's better."

"What do you want to drink?"

"Something big."

Lisa raised her eyebrows and waved the waiter over.

"So," said Jennie, when they'd ordered their drinks. "Tell me all the news."

"What news?"

"The news. You know. The gossip. The things you tell someone you haven't seen in a year."

"Oh, that."

"Yes, that. Tell it to me."

"Okay, well... everything's fine."

"Is that it?"

"I don't know what else to say. College isn't too bad, I'm working on a script, and we haven't had any earthquakes."

"Have you seen any of the guys?"

Lisa shrugged. "I've been kind of busy."

"So, what about you and Bobby? Going okay?"

Lisa paused. "No," she said. "We split up."

"Really? Why?"

"Well, we..."

"What?"

"The thing is, Nini, when you're at school it's a pretty insular society, you know? Close-knit. You're choosing from a small pool of people, because they're everything you know. But once youget out into the world, you look around and you see that… maybe there are other choices, other options. You know," she shrugged, uncomfortably, and played with her glass. "Better options."

After a moment she looked up to find herself bathed in the light of Jennie's sympathy. "What? It was a mutual thing, okay? We just decided that we'd be better off apart."