Chapter 18

Let's Do Lunch

Well, howdy. Let's go and visit Lisa's dad. I know we seem to be stringing this out a bit, but please don't wish it over just yet - this is a romance, so once they get together, we're done.

Many thanks for your comments. I love comments :)

.

.

.

"Lisa. What a lovely surprise."

"You invited us, Dad."

"And Jennie, too. How nice to see you."

Jennie leaned out from behind Lisa and gave a little wave of acknowledgement. "Hi."

"Why don't you both come in?"

Lisa was about to list all the reasons she could think of, but Jennie wasn't going to wait. "Thanks!" She said, flashing the blonde's dad a dazzling smile and striding past him into the house.

Lisa followed with an air of resignation. Her dad ushered them through to the living room, and for a moment the three of them stood there awkwardly.

"Well," Jennie said, waving a hand around, and cranking up the smile another thousand watts. "This is nice."

"It is, isn't it?" Lisa's dad agreed, looking around the room as though seeing it for the first time. "Not my doing, of course. Lisa's mother was the one with the eye for detail. I have no aesthetic abilities, I'm afraid."

"Oh, I'm sure that's not true," the brunette argued. "You look very fit."

Lisa snorted, but her dad ignored it. "Well, that's very kind of you to say so, young lady."

"Not at all."

In Lisa's opinion the house was a garish mess, but Jennie was determined to be charming, and her dad was determined to be charmed. Much more of this mutual appreciation and she might be waking up one day to Jennie Kim as her new stepmom.

"You said something about lunch?" She asked.

"Yes I did."

"Only, I don't see lunch."

"That's because we're standing in the middle of the living room."

"So where... Oh God, please don't say we're eating in the Great Hall."

"You have a Great Hall?" The Korean girl said, impressed.

"She means the dining room," the Thai girl's dad said. "Lisa has something of an issue with the chandelier."

"I don't have an issue with it, Dad," she retorted. "I just don't see why we need it."

"Your mother paid a lot of money for that."

"Yeah, a lot of your money."

"That's not the point."

"Of course it's the point! You paid for it, so you can do what you want with it, now she's gone. It's totally up to you."

"And what if I want to leave it where it is?"

"Then you're wrong."

"I'm sure it's lovely," Jennie interrupted. They both turned to her. "I mean, each to his own, and everything," she added. "Some people like chandeliers, some people like... um... catamarans."

"Quite right, Jennie," Mr Manoban said. "Well put, if slightly confusing. Shall we go through?"

.