Chapter 30

Phew. So here we go, the final part of the epilogue. It's been a long haul, but I hope it's been worth it. I feel like it's been forever, I'll be kind of sorry to see it go...

.

.

.

A small part of her said, why are you bothering? What do you care if he feels bad? He hurt you. And she didn't really know the answer. All she knew was that Jennie, in her soppy, well-meaning way, had gone to a lot of trouble to organize this, and she was damned if she was going to let it end in disaster, particularly over something so stupid.

She caught up him by the main door. "Bobby!"

He stopped, but didn't turn around. She slowed as she approached, cautious in case he bolted. "Bobby?"

He said nothing, but she could hear his breathing slow as he calmed down. "Look," she said, quietly. "It isn't true. What Jisoo said in there. There was nothing between us at school. I swear. I would never have done that to you."

There was a tense pause, then she saw his shoulders sag, hear him exhale as his head dropped.

"I know." he said, wearily, turning to face her as he slumping back against the wall. "I'm sorry. It's just... I always knew Jennie had a thing for you, not a big thing, but more than just wanting to be friends. I used to feel a little sorry for her sometimes, you know? Knowing that she was crazy enough to think it would go anywhere. And then when Jisoo said that, I just... kind of freaked out. I thought maybe I'd been wrong all that time, that maybe I'd been the one who was crazy, and that all the time you two had been-"

"We hadn't."

He slumped down against the wall. She slumped down next to him, and for a moment they sat in silence.

"I'm sorry," he said, eventually. "I didn't mean to act like a jerk. I haven't seen you in nearly two years." He smiled, ruefully. "I'd hoped to make a better impression than this."

"You don't need to make an impression on me, Bobby, I know you."

"That doesn't sound good."

"I mean I really know you. And you're a good guy. I know that you hurt me and I was really pissed at you, and the old me would have held a grudge a mile wide and you'd be picking your teeth out of the drain right now, but I've changed. I'm different. And if I'm honest, I don't really blame you for it, I was kind of a drag."

"You weren't. You were anything but a drag. It's a pity I only realized it when I hooked up with someone else."

There was silence for a moment. Lisa looked down at her hands. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why did you come here?"

Bobby didn't answer right away. "Jennie called me, and told me about the birthday party. Said she wanted to sort things out, make things right."

"But why did you come?" Lisa pressed. "Weren't you worried about showing up here knowing I might still be mad at you?"

He shrugged. "Maybe," he said. "But it seemed like the best chance to apologize I was going to get."

"What do you mean?"

"If you'd known I was coming, would you have wanted to see me?"

"You just wanted to apologize?"

"Well, yeah."

"Is that all?"

He paused. "Well, I guess I did hope that maybe..."