Chapter 21

What Fresh Hell Is This?

*You're going to hate me for this.*

.

.

.

Lisa awoke to find that the inside of her head had been hollowed out, and filled with molten lead.

She shook her head to clear it, which turned out to be a very, very bad idea.

"Ouch."

This felt distinctly like a hangover, which meant she'd been drinking the night before. But where?
A club. There had been a club. And there had been music, and drinking, and talking, and drinking, and dancing, and drinking, and fighting, and...

Whoa. Wait. Back up. Fighting. Oh, God.

That asshole from college had been there. And Jennie had started a fight with... everyone. Fuck.

That wasn't good. That didn't bode well for next semester. What else?

They'd been thrown out. Well, they'd been asked to leave. Then they'd been thrown out. They'd walked across the parking lot and Asshole's car had been there.

She groaned. And Jennie had smashed it up. Jesus. It's always the quiet ones. Always the quiet ones who get a few drinks inside them and go rampaging through town, starting fights, trashing cars, kissing people...

She sat up, suddenly. This turned out to be an even worse idea, as her head collided with what turned out to be the underside of the table. She lay down again, to let the throbbing subside.

The brunette had kissed her. Jennie had pushed her up against a wall and kissed her. Just like that. No prevarication, no shyness, no nothing. Just wham, bam, thank you ma'am. And then she'd run off.

She lay there, puzzled. In her admittedly limited experience of kissing people outside nightclubs, one thing tended to lead to another, but it was difficult to imagine the chain of circumstances that would lead from there to her current situation underneath this table. Unless Jennie had some weird furniture fetish.

So then what? They'd come back to the apartment. Yes. She remembered crashing through the door, laughing and shoving each other. Jennie had snatched up a bottle of wine, and backed away into the bedroom, grinning, beckoning her with a finger and a bite of the lip, and Lisa had followed.

No wait, she hadn't followed, Lisa had fallen over something. Jennie's monster purse, a purse so big that by rights it should have had its own apartment, or at least be contributing to the rent. By the time she'd untangled herself, grunting and cursing, the Korean girl had disappeared into the bedroom.

She'd dragged herself in there on her hands and knees, the purse still clinging to one leg like an tenacious giant clam, to find...

To find Jennie asleep, flat out across the bed, bottle of wine seeping gently into the bedsheets. She'd tried to rouse her, but the girl had just mumbled something like 'urmshelisa' and buried herself deeper into the damp covers.

Damn it. She'd reversed back out of the bedroom, still on all fours, and made it as far as the table, at which point her body had said, right, that's it, nap time, and she'd passed out.

Well, that's okay, then. All present and correct. Everything accounted for. All you've got to do now is wait for the sleeping girl to wake up, remember all that, and then you can both spend the rest of the break in crippling embarrassment until Jennie goes back to college, and then you can never speak to each other again. Marvelous. Job done.