Chapter 3

[ Take Me Out ]

Lisa sat on the edge of the sofa, feeling like a substandard prom date, left alone to wallow in silent disapproval while their shortcomings were discussed elsewhere. The apartment was tidy, but the tang of air-freshener failed to mask the smell of stale beer and pot-smoke.

She couldn't imagine Jennie living in a dump like this after her parents place in L.A. But then Jennie wasn't the only one who lived here. She fidgeted with her phone. She hadn't seen the other occupant, but her presence was apparent - from the bedroom a conversation was being had, although she could only make out the occasional word of Jennie's side.

...my only friend, Nana... it's not like that...

Nana, it seemed, was not keen.

...when? When do I ever... not fair, and you know it...

She wondered if she should say something. Actually, she wondered if she should just march in there and stab Nana in the face, but it was hard to say how that would go down with Jennie. Maybe she should give it up and go back to the hotel. It was costing her quite a lot, especially now that her plan to crash at Jennie's was probably - scratch that, definitely - not on the cards.

But she could picture the look on Jennie's face if she came out and found her gone, and even worse she could imagine the smugness on Nana's when she found out. So it looked like she was just going to have to sit it out.

... one time... last night, and I had to...

She wondered if she was being unfair to Nana. For all she knew, Nana was a lovely girl, and Jennie was a selfish layabout who was forever deserting her to go off with strange women out of the blue.

...please, Nana...

Or possibly not. She'd just resolved to give it another thirty seconds before she went in there, when she heard the bedroom door opening. She quickly pushed her earphones in, rearranging her features into an expression of innocent ignorance.

"Everything okay?" She said, pulling them out again.

She could see Jennie turn, the smile on her face applied a fraction too slowly. "Yes!" She said, brightly. "I'm ready."

"Great," Lisa said, relieved. "You look..." She struggled for the kind of compliment you might give a friend. "Nice."

"Thank you," Jennie said, slightly more coquettishly than Lisa felt comfortable with. "So do you."

Lisa felt an unaccustomed blush rising. "Thanks."

"Shall we go?"

"Let's."

.

.

.

"I thought we'd drop the car at the hotel and take a cab," Lisa said. "Then we can have a couple of drinks."