14

Xu Ming sat quietly in his room, impatiently waiting for night to fall.

"Just a little more...  I already have Dai Yun's share. Now, I can focus on mine." Xu Ming fold his fingers over his thumb in a counting motion as he contently smiled to the ceiling.

...

On the other side of the manor, in Tian Shu's Wing, inside of the guest room, sat Governor Yu and two of his guards.

"For Governor Yu to come visit me so late, surely it must be something urgent." Tian Shu coldly glanced at the smiling old man.

Governor Yu took a slip of tea then stared at the three young maids behind Tian Shu and lustfully smiled. "Miss Tian's maids are charming."

Narrowing her eyes in disgust, Tian Shu was about to motion for two of the maids to send Governor Yu out, however before she did, Governor Yu laughed and asked, "I heard of young second lord Juin's accident. It is unfortunate. Has the imperial physicians found a cure yet?"

Tian Shu knew that Governor Yu, like everyone else, is aware Dai Juin's hands can no longer grip a sword and there is no cure. So upon hearing his question, her eyes that were filled with disgust, darken into hate.

"Governor Yu!" Tian Shu shouted but was interrupted before she could finish.

"Since the path of warrior-ship is no longer open for Dai Juin, has the second lord thought about becoming the Chief Minister." Governor Yu said with a devious smile.

Power wise the Chief Minister is less than the four Kings, however, because he works next to the Emperor, the respect, wealth, and government swaying power that he has is not tiny and can be equal to a King, depending on how liked he is by the Emperor. Aside from the Kings, the next best, non-warrior path is the Chief Minister. However, since the Chief Minister works directly next to the Emperor, only the new Emperor can decide who will become the next Chief Minister.

"What do you mean?" Tian Shu narrowed her eyes.

"Miss Tian, no need to be apprehensive. I am simply wondering if your highness would like my recommendation. As you are aware, 100 years ago, when my father asked for a village, the Emperor granted him one. Now, have you ever seen a Governor owning a village? My family is the first. This shows how much the Emperor values the Yu family. So, if I were the one to bring up your son's name, his chances will look better. Don't you agree?" Governor Yu smirked.

As Tian Shu processed what Governor Yu said, she agreed. For undisclosed reasons, the Emperor did act unusually well towards the Yu family, and if it'll help her son, why would she turn down such a good offer.

"Well then, I thank Governor Yu." Tian Shu slightly nodded with a cold smile.

Governor Yu tilted his head and coldly laughed, "Good. ...However, as you know, there is no such thing as a free meal. Since I'm giving you a favor, naturally, you have to offer me something in exchange."

Since Tian Shu grew up privileged, she was used to people giving her things and doing things for her for free, so she quickly frowned upon hearing Governor Yu's words.

"Heh. Fear not, what I want, you will not even miss." Governor Yu laughed as the wrinkles around his eyes and mouth creased even more.

"What is it?" Tian Shu furrowed her brows.

"I want Dai Yun. Give him to me, and I will put all my efforts into swaying the Emperor to favor Dai Juin for the next Chief Minister post. With the Emperor's recommendation, the ascending Emperor will have no choice but to obey. Do you agree to this deal?" Governor Yu shamelessly said as he stared straight into Tian Shu's eyes.