Do As You're Told, Pet

--Eloise--

Going to the neighbour's house would serve us no purpose since they weren't home and going to the front of the house was suicide. So, we fled outback, running towards the tall fencing that sectioned our house off from another road in our neighbourhood. I could hear King's voice barking incoherent words at his guards inside the house, which scared me into pacing faster.

And, though I had been expecting King to go to the front, the back door was practically thrown off of its hinges. I screamed, peeking over my shoulder and seeing King there, infuriated. My nerves went dead and my blood iced over. Oh, shit! I grabbed Sam's hand tighter and sprinted the rest of the way across the lawn to the fence. 

"Eloise! Get back here right now!" King's gruff voice demanded. I stifled a frightened sob and turned my back to the fence. Sam knew exactly what to do as we had practised it many times before. I held my hands together and he propped his foot up onto it. With a hefty heave, I pushed him over the fence. I only caught a single glimpse of King's charging figure bounding towards me before I spun around and lifted myself up the fence as well. "Eloise!" He roared, catching me by the foot. I shrieked as his hand clamped down and tugged me back. No! Not like this! I pressed the weight of my body forward, hanging off of the other side of the fence before shaking him off. Thankfully, my boot loosened and slipped off, tumbling me down the height of the fence. 

I squealed as I hit the ground, ache pulsating through my entire body. The pain didn't last long, however, numbed by the rush of adrenaline that came with seeing King hoist himself up the fence with ease.

Oh my God! I felt terror split through me as I scrambled back onto my feet. 

"Eli!" Sam called out to me, already up ahead. I bolted towards him and the road, running as if death itself was looming over my shoulders. The pants which I heaved out was not exhaustion. In fact, I couldn't feel an ounce of anything but my peak athletism as I dashed towards my brother. It was fear instead. Fear like I've never experienced before. Fear that electrified through every nerve ending in my body. It pounded and thrashed my heart violently against my ribs, throbbed my limbs with urgency to hasten their movement, and dulled my hearing to the terrifying approach of sprinting footsteps from behind me. 

A whimper escaped my mouth as I caught up with Sam and grabbed his hand. We dashed down the street for our lives. Never before had I been pushed to run this fast in my life before. Many thoughts of varying degrees of emotion whizzed past my head with the wind.

What was I doing? This was a bad idea. No, this was the right thing to do. 

Why did I bring my brother? What will happen after this? Oh, God, we're going to get caught. No, we'll get away. 

I couldn't think straight anymore. So, all I did was run. Run. Run. Run. Run until I couldn't anymore. I just didn't want to go back. I was scared. I panicked and only now I realised what deep shit it got me into. He's going to catch up. He's going to catch up to us!

Tears prickled in my eyes. 

I'm screwed. I could only hear my shallow breaths as I ran. Everything else just faded and I was left with my chaotic thoughts. I'm screwed. I'm screwed. I'm screwed. 

This was it. We were going to get caught and-

My eyes shot wide as I spotted something in the distance. A parked cab.

No. We're saved. We'll be fine! We just need to make it to that cab and-

"Eli!" I stopped dead in my tracks. In an instant, I realised that I was no longer holding onto my brother's hand. My dash skidded to a stop and I spun myself to choke up in horror. "Eli," my brother sobbed, looking at me with rounded eyes of terrified plead. King had him by the back of the throat, hand latched unforgivingly as he lightly panted to catch his breath. I trembled in aghast. But, it wasn't at him.