Bitch Of A Best Friend

--Eloise--

Brittney Milton was always a peculiar person. I could tell that from the first moment we met. She came to my birthday uninvited but had given me the most expensive gift. So, of course, I let her stay. Was it shallow of me to do so? 

Perhaps not since of the group of friends I had invited that day to my 13th birthday party, she was the only one who I was still friends with. I found Brittney quite irritating at the best of times and downright despicable at the worst of times. She was never really the best friend but insisted on latching onto me as if I was the only friend she had. 

My first boyfriend ended with a terrible breakup. Why? Because I found out Brittney had slept with him. I was ready to bury that bitch 6 feet under once I had found out, deciding that this was my last straw. But when I confronted her, she only laughed at how much of a fool I was. 

"Oh my god! You actually liked him that much?! Jesus Eli, I thought you had like, higher standards or something than me! Good thing I fucked him then," she snorted as if I was going to casually dismiss her sleeping with my boyfriend with that shitty excuse.

"YOU BITCH! YOU SLUTTY BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!" I shrieked, my vocal cords straining as they expressed my fury at this whorebag. I stood there waiting. Waiting for her to apologise, get down on her knees and beg for forgiveness before I tell her to fuck off and finally stop being her friend.

Instead, she snickered and started cackling with laughter. The bitch had the nerve, I'll tell you that much. She wiped a tear from her eye in amusement and calmed down from her moment, leaving me fuming even more than I already was.

We had come to this cross-road many times before. Brittany had done a lot of shitty things before to get me to a split in the road like this for our friendship. But, each time, I had forgiven her. We had overcome many differences and each time, I thought she couldn't be any worse. 

But, this was it. I've had it with her!

My hand cracked over her cheek, leaving a red mark tinting her complexion. Brittney was wide-eyed, taken aback, her smile quickly fading from her face. I glared with the sharpness of a polished blade and the intensity of the Sun's core. My other hand was a shaking fist, the veins prominently bulging out.

That was the first time I had ever slapped her. Never had I had to resort to violence before but if any situation called for it, it was this one. "We're done. Never again."

A silence grew between us as little drops fell onto the ground in front of me. I touched my face, not realizing I let them out, but it was the rain. Dark, shadowing clouds had locked away the sky, grumbling with thunder.

I looked up at them with a solemn expression.

What a shitty day. I'm about to lose my boyfriend and my best friend in one day. My head fell back down to her eye level. She hadn't broken her stare on me the whole time. I guess it's for the best. I don't need friends that aren't loyal to my friendship with them.

Brittney let out a deep breath as the spitting turned into heavy droplets of water, pouring down on us. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone, scrolling and tapping away before she looked up again.

I raised my eyebrow and she flipped the phone over, so I could see the screen. My eyes popped out of my sockets. It was a photo, of her, sucking off my boyfriend. His hand was combing through her blonde bangs and the caption read 'scored the school slut today'. My shaky lips parted to say something, but nothing came out. But, Brittney wasn't done.

She flicked through the pictures, each one a different girl in a different sex position and a caption bragging about it. I swallowed, watching the images flash by until I couldn't take anymore. I turned my head away and Brittney withdrew her phone.

"They're all over his social media. The whole school's probably seen it at this point...the fucker didn't even ask to take the picture," she said, reviewing the pictures again with despise. My eyes moved to her.

What? Did she know about this? 

The look in her eyes said that she did, faltering me back a step in agahst.

Why...would she do that? Why would she put up with that humiliation? Her reputation was going to take the worst damage. Doesn't she care?

"Why would you do that? If you already knew that he took pictures like that and posted them, why would you do that to yourself?"

Brittney put away her phone and smiled at me with affection. "Well, 'cause he would've done it to you as well. I just did it to prove a point. If he does that to your best friend, you won't be an exception. Plus, you wouldn't have believed me if I hadn't done it myself."

I blinked some tears down as my lip trembled. Brittney...

She walked up to me and patted me on the head, messing up my wet hair.

"I'd rather it happens to me over you. So, I'll keep breaking you up with your boyfriends until you find the right guy, okay? I'm your wing-woman, you're my wing-woman, remember?"

I never thought I would have to doubt Brittney again after that. But, here we were now.

"So, your name's not even Brittney, huh?" I mumbled, laying back on the hospital bed with a distant look out the window. 'Brittney' hummed in agreement and stared out as well.

There was dead silence in the room. I honestly didn't want to break it, no matter how uncomfortable it grew. I can't believe it. 

I had told her every little embarrassing or dark secret I had growing up. I had shared so many experiences alongside her. And, now, she was telling me that all of that was a lie? That the very fundamentals of your friendship were based on a lie? That 'Brittney Milton' wasn't even a real person, to begin with?

I shut my eyes and took a deep breath.

She knew everything about me...

Which was what made this moment so painful. So uncomfortable.

"Don't you wanna know my real name?" I turned my head to look at her. She was still acting how she normally does, smiling as if everything was a joke and not really giving a shit about anyone else's feelings. I hated her for that. Why can't she at least drop the façade even now? It was so hard for me to even look at her. So, why did she still have to act like my friend?

My bottom lip quivered. I let a few tears slip down my face. Yes! Of course, I do! I want to know who you really are! I want to know the person who has been tricking me for the last 5 years! I want to know the person who had pretended to be my friend for all this time!

I stared into her bright, ocean eyes.

Brittney...

I let out a breathy chuckle from my nose.

"Actually, I don't need to hear it. I've always seen you as Bitchy Brittney anyway," I joked, eliciting a snort from her. I joined in with a soft chortle. 

And, that was it. I wanted to keep at least one thing the same from our friendship. But...

I suddenly shut up and let her keep going until she realized that I did. I peered into her with narrowed eyes. "Now," I started. She nervously leaned back as I loomed over her. "I have some questions to ask you, Brittney."

She laughed nervously but stuck a finger out to stop me before I could go on. "But, first!" She pulled out the IV drip from my arm. "I'm going to kidnap you before Ashton gets here," she grinned, clasping onto my hand. I smiled back, returning the grip.

And, of course, I had no qualms with that. 

A/N: Yayyy!!! Brittney and Eloise best friendssss!!!! 

This was a more chill, laid back chapter as you can tell, but I promise there'll be more interesting stuff in the next one! No more long, boring conversations.  Do you like Brittney? Maybe not? You think there's more to her? 

Leave your thoughts in the comments and I'll see you in the next chapter!