Your Happiness

--Eloise--

Is this...where my story ends?

"Eloise," his deep, tantalizing voice called out like an echo drowned out by the waves of the ocean. The air was salty, and the beach was nowhere near as impressive as the ones in Australia, but it was tranquil. And, I preferred that. "Eloise, will you talk to me?" The wind rustled through my hair and I felt a warmth clasp over my hand. My eyes flickered the large, rugged hand atop mine, and followed it to the fascinating green eyes of its owner. Why were they still so beautiful? It made it hard to look away.

"Ashton," I breathed out as he peered hopefully into my eyes. I knew what he was looking for. Forgiveness. Repentance for not coming to me. Being a coward – as he labelled himself on the drive here. But I saw no reason to forgive him. For he had done nothing wrong in the first place. A smile spread gracefully onto my lips. "I've missed you."

He softened his gaze and clenched my hand tightly, too afraid to let go, in case I disappear again. "Me too," he whispered, edging closer to my body. I stopped him before he could come over, dropping my smile into a sassy frown.

"But, first, before anything, you need to tell me something," I sterned, coldly. Ashton's expression fell in uncertainty as I crossed my arms together. I leered into him assertively and he clenched his jaw in preparation. "That woman," I started, spitefully.

"Greta," Ashton finished, returning to his neutral demeanour after an immediate realisation of the conversation that was about to ensue. "I know how it looks, but she's not my wife and the kid's someone else's," he clarified, easing my stiff shoulders a little. "In fact, she's a lot older than me, despite how she looks," Ashton added, much to my surprise. She looked younger than him to me.

"So, then what the hell is she doing living with you?" I queried, closing the distance between us again. Ashton didn't answer but the stony expression he had on; told me something was wrong. My eyebrows furrowed together in worry and I lightly touched his arm, urging him to continue. "What is it, Ashton?"

His eyes told me the restraint he way breaking through. Something that needed to be said, but best kept a secret. What? What was it? Ashton sighed out and leaned his arms down on the railing. "The guy who knocked her up – it was a fling," he began. "I'm giving her refuge for now because he..." Ashton paused with the bite of his lip in order to hold himself back.

"Just tell me already! After everything I've been through, you think I can't handle something like this?" I retort, slightly irate with impatience.

Ashton held our stare before looking out into the calm sea. "It's your brother, Eloise," he confided. His response floated past me. It didn't process right away because I was confused. Did he get that wrong? My brother? What brother? "Samuel Lettner - who now goes by the name, Finn Porter," Ashton firmed, refusing to face me. I could feel my body freeze from the chilly wind. The blood was leaving the surface of my skin, paling my face white. He wasn't kidding. He really just said Samuel. "He-"

"He's dead!" I spat out, bitterly, offended that my little brother's name was being used in vain like this. Ashton finally met my eyes again, hardened with preparation for this response.

"He's not, Eloise. Nicki would never let some innocent kid like him be killed," he affirmed. I clenched my jaw and backed away in belief. What is this bullshit? I didn't want to believe it, but I knew it was stupid to live in a fantasy I've created for myself – to live in denial of everything. "The thing that was supposed to kill him was what woke him from his coma. And, after his recovery, Nicki had him work for our father's group." My eyes snapped open. Sam's...in the mafia? He's working for them?! Those fuckers?! No...No, no, no, no! That's the last thing I wanted for him!