Redemption

UNDER EDITING!!!!

--Ashton--

My eyes shot open to the sounds of distant chatter. Light filtered in, pinching them closed again for a few seconds. A groan emerged from my throat as my body began to restart. I tried to lift my arm up to cover my eyes, only to have my left shoulder explode with intense pain. I hissed and squinted my eyes over to the region of ache – now bandaged with layers of white bandages. Down my arm was an IV drip connected to a hanging packet of blood. My wound...it's been dressed...

But, who...where the hell am I?

With a grunt, I forced my body pull itself up for a better view of my surroundings. I was in a room I wasn't used to.

It was modern – with a plain colour palette of black and white along with simple patterns. The room was quite large, with a king-sized bed filled with pillows and plush, heavy blankets piled onto of me. The rest had a comfortable living space consisting of a grey couch and table with ornaments on top, as well as a walk-in-wardrobe and bathroom.

It seemed familiar...

Is this...?!

With a suspicious narrow of my eyes, I cast my attention down to the bedside table beside me before sliding open the top drawer and running my fingers on the wooden panel below. Distinct, shabby carvings caught my skin and it became undeniable as to where I was. 

'DNNN'

My fingers lingered on the engraving as I shut my eyes to the breaches of sentimentality I had to actively suppress. 

We haven't come here since we were kids... 

One of our holiday homes in England. I still remember every piece of furniture that my siblings and I had vandalised. Which meant that she was here. 

With a sigh, I let go of the blankets and stood back up. My head pounded as I did, but I shook off the pain beating in my head and tried to focus on what happened before I passed out.

They had taken Eloise...

Eloise. 

My jaw clenched with indignation as I propelled myself forward from the bed. I had to get to her. Somehow. This was the final thing I had sought to do and I couldn't fail. The IV drip yanked itself from my arm as I moved away with fire scorching through my veins. If I was still alive then it meant that they wouldn't shoot me on sight once I left this room. 

My hand coiled around the doorknob and prepared for whatever opposition I was to face as I creaked it open. It was strange that they hadn't even locked the door but then, it swung open from the other side, forcing me back a step on guard. 

An old woman peeked her head through the crack and quickly searched the room to find me. She smiled warmly when she did and opened the rest of the door. In her hands was a tray filled with a hearty English breakfast with some steaming tea.

"I thought you should've awoken by now," she crooned in a motherly voice. She entered the room and set the tray down on the small coffee table by the couches. My eyes followed her pensively before flickering over to the open door – it led to a hallway. Her thick British accent brought my attention back to her. "Have some breakfast, will you? You must be hungry by now, am I right?" Her old features instinctually lowered my guard and brought focus to my grumbling stomach instead. 

"How long was I out for?" I muttered, rubbing my head and sauntering over to the tray of food. I was unsure of whether it had been laced with something, so I did my best to ignore it as I plopped down on the couch. It was best to remain calm in this situation. Blowing my head will do me no good in the state I'm in right now.