Makeover

--Eloise--

I sighed as I strolled through the hallways of this much too large house. It had only just been the first two guests that we had greeted and I already felt drained. Hopefully, by running away from the main foyer, King will have to greet the guests by himself for a while now. Knowing his love for keeping up an image, he will most likely lie and say that I was still recuperating from my parents' death and couldn't come out to greet them. Although...I'm not too sure if that would even be a lie.

My eyes wandered towards the windows, gazing into the well-maintained gardens King had outside. There were shaped hedges, water features, flowers and ponds that made it feel alive. He didn't let me go outside and enjoy myself without one of his men tailing me. Even if I did manage to run away and escape, there was still this chip he had implanted into my shoulder without my consent. It was small and harmless but it still ensured that I was chained to him no matter where I fled. This was a prison. I was a prisoner, not a wife. 

"So, wanna hit some before the dinner party starts? It's not like there's anything better to do until then..."

A faint voice caught my attention and I flickered my eyes in its direction. There were muffled voices coming from within one of the guest rooms. Out of sunken curiosity, I felt my feet lead me towards it. 

"No way! If I act the slightest bit drunk in front of my relatives, my brother will kill me!" That voice is too fresh in my mind to forget. Nicki.

'Well, I was waiting for someone to join me, but I guess she's not turning up'

'Or, he's probably just chasing after Nicolette again'

The girl that was King's sister and undeniably the one that Jake was searching for the night of the reception. I hadn't realised that they had dated before. Lucky girl, I guess. I could tell Jake was the type to be in high demand. I'm surprised that his type would have been someone like Nicolette.

"Oh, come on Nick, we've all seen you drunk at this point," another voice chuckled. Speak of the devil, that had to be Jake. The British accent was impeccable. "Besides, this is Belver Bears vodka. $7,200 a bottle! I mean, that's nothing for me, but tell me you are not going to pass up this opportunity," he snarked.

$7,200 was nothing for him?! Fucking rich people...

Nicki sighed tiredly before whining. "But, I cant! My brother is so annoying! It's nice that he cares for me and all but, he's just being too over-protective! Besides, you don't want to fuck this up, do you, Jake?!" I cocked an eyebrow at that sentence. Fuck this up? Fuck what up? What was she talking about? 

I heard Jake arrogantly chuckle. "You're such a prude sometimes, Nicki. I'm reliable, aren't I? Even if things don't go as planned at the start I always manage to turn things around in the end," he gloated, making me listen on in surprising investment. Well, it wasn't as if there was anything else to do in this house.

"The answer's still no, Jake. Save it for someone else."

I heard Jake breath out a heavy exhale before conceding finally and moving onto a different topic. "How was your trip to Slovenia?"

"It was fun," she started quite calmly. Although right after, she began to ramble. "We went to Ljubljana and Maribor and got to go sight-seeing and eating the food. And, oh my gosh the food! It was so fucking good. They make the best calamari and they have little vending machine things for like fresh milk. And, then we got to see Lake Bohinj and Bled! Then we went to a ski resort and met some cute boys who took us to dinner. And, then, the next day we got to see the Triple Bridge, Dragon Bridge and the-"