EP. 3 - Search

~ (FUTURE TIMELINE) ~

Niya sat on the edge of her bed, taking deep breaths as she mentally prepared for the journey to come. She reached for lock of long, onyx hair, but she missed. With a gasp, she remembered she had recently cut it to be about shoulder length. She pulled two locks of hair and tied them behind to form a tiny ponytail. The rest of her wavy hair settled at her shoulders.

Trunks knocked on Niya's open door. "Let's get going," he said, "We have to tell Ken-La and my mom goodbye. Who knows when we'll be back."

Niya sat up, snapping out of her thoughts. "Okay." She put on a serious expression, which slightly worried Trunks.

He was glad she was taking it all seriously, however; he preferred her smile that could light up any place. He loved her hopefulness and positivity that made the cruel world they had endured worth it. She was always there for him when he was sad; she'd give him the warmest smile and hold his hand. That was her way of telling him that she was there for him and that everything was going to be okay. And what made her special was that she could soothe any person with just that. All the fear and anger and sadness Trunks felt, would fade away. After everything, he needed her by his side.

But, Trunks couldn't think of Niya as more than a friend even though he wanted her to be. She had fallen for someone else. "Don't forget to say bye to Niko and Noemi, too. They'll really miss you, you know."

Niya froze, but then nodded. "Yes. I'll go talk to them right now," she gave him a small smile. "I'll meet you at the time machine in a few minutes, okay?"

Trunks nodded. "Sure. Take your time," he smiled back and went to say his goodbyes to his mother and Ken-La. Once he was out of her sight, his smile faded. He hated that he was in love with Niya.

× × ×

"Ohh, Niya be careful," Bulma said and she hugged Niya tightly as if she were her own daughter. The two had really bonded the whole time they've been together, so it was hard for Bulma to be without Niya for such a long time. She loved her optimism and the fact that she made her son happy by being his best friend.

Niya hugged Bulma back and squeezed gently. "I will," Niya smiled. "I'll miss you, Bulma."

Bulma squeezed back, "I'll miss you, too." Bulma broke the hug and kissed Niya on the forehead. Niya smiled brightly as Bulma quickly caressed her cheek as if she were a child. Bulma turned away from Niya and turned to her son.

Niya turned to Ken-La, her aunt. She looked like she was about to cry. Niya quickly reached out to hug her. "Don't cry, Lala." That's what Niya had always called Ken-La, ever since she was little. Ken-La had always shrugged it off even when the nickname sometimes pissed her off, but now that Niya was leaving for who knew how long, she knew she was going to miss it just as much as she was going to miss Niya. So, she didn't cry. Her face was still lightly red from almost bursting into tears.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Niya. Take care of yourself, and Trunks. Make sure those people don't suffer as much as we did. Do it for all of us, for them, for yourself," Ken-La said. Her voice was soft and gentle, because she was shy most of the time, but she was also bubbly when she had her moments. Unlike Niya, Ken-La was petite with straight black hair and emerald eyes.

Niya tensed a bit at the thought of... Her eyes became sharp with determination. "I will. I promise." The older woman pulled the much taller Niya back and kissed her forehead as well, going on her tippy toes.

Ken-La smiled shyly. "I know you will, with all of my faith and heart. I love you, Niya." She hugged Niya one last time. "I wish you the best of luck."