EP. 17 - Boundaries

Niya panted, struggling to gulp in oxygen. All around her was fire, and the air was thick with smoke and rays of heat. Beads of sweat hugged her now sticky skin as she was on all fours. It was so hard to stand, to pull herself back up. Everything was too hot, too heavy, too suffocating. She felt like she was going to die as her head began to spin.

But then, from the corner of her eye, she saw Trunks. He did not bow down to the fire. He held firm and confident eyes as he withstood it, as he punched and kicked through it. It was an incredible sight to see him so strong and sure of himself. His toned muscles attacked the air with such force and certainty, it was like he was a completely different fighter. His blue eyes were piercing and focused, putting his all to the task at hand.

"So... amazing...," Niya quietly managed as she watched. Her body began to feel like a million tons as she felt dragged down to the floor, unable to move her limbs. She struggled to keep her head up as her mouth opened to call out. Her eyes fixated on Trunks, trying to channel that same energy to her voice, but to no avail. Soon, her eyes too felt heavy, and they drooped down shut.

× × ×

Niya gasped awake and tried to sit up but was held back.

"Hey, calm down."

The saiyaness looked up at those piercing, blue eyes and felt herself freeze. Why was her heart still racing? How could she still be out of breath?

"Are you alright?" Trunks furrowed his brows and placed a palm on her forehead. "... You're a bit warmer than normal. Maybe I pushed you to do too much too soon." He sighed and stood, "I'll be right back."

Niya mentally cursed herself for not being able to move to say anything. She sighed and relaxed against the pillow.

A few moments later, Trunks returned with a bucket of water and a towel. He soaked it and placed the cold towel against her forehead, making her flinch.

"I know it's cold, but it's the only way you're going to feel better," Trunks told her, wiping away water trailing down her face.

Niya swatted his hand away. "No, I don't need this. I don't feel that bad anymore, so I'm going to go back to training," she began to sit up.

Trunks frowned and once again pushed her down against the bed. "No, Niya. You need to rest."

"But I feel fine--!"

"No," Trunks firmly denied her. "When your fever's gone, then maybe you can try again."

As he stood and turned to walk away, Niya frowned at him. "It's not fair! It's only been a few weeks, and I'm still so weak! I... I don't understand...!"

Trunks halted and turned back to her. She didn't know why, but his expression softened at her fierce one. He sat back down on the edge of the bed and took her nearest hand in his. "I know it's frustrating right now, but you can't rush it. You'll get there, I know you will. You always manage to be better than me somehow," he ended up chuckling.

Niya gave a light smile, but it faltered as her eyes landed on their hands. Her thin, cold fingers were being hugged by his warm, calloused ones. It had been a while since hers were in his. The warmth was just what she needed, as the pit in her chest didn't feel so deep anymore.

Shortly later, Trunks noticed what he was doing and set her hand down gently. "You," he began, staring into her wide, sparkling, onyx eyes before looking away, "You should get some rest now."

Without waiting for a reply, he stood and walked off back into the void.

Niya stared longingly after him, wishing he wouldn't leave her side again.