More Than Met the Eye

"You had to?" I ask, practically astonished. He just kissed me! Without much of prompt!

"Oh, just shut up already!" He grabs my face again and kisses me harder & more passionately. We take a few steps backward, still kissing. I don't know where we're going. I try to break our kiss, but he's too strong. It's a bit of a good strong, but not right now. I slowly start to adjust, but I don't make too much progress before we're moving quickly backwards & we splash into the pond. He still holds me in the kiss while we're underwater. Finally, our faces break apart and we swim quickly up to the surface to breathe.

I gasp from the lack of air and gulp as much of it as I can get. Cole hoists himself out of the pond and then reaches down to help me out. "Oh, no!" I say, swimming away from him. "You're not touching me again as long as I have a say in it!" I push myself out of the water at another side of the pond. I stand up, my clothes sopping wet. I shake my arms to get some excess water off, but I still drip from every inch of my body.

"I've got towels in my car," Cole says, starting to walk back the way we came. I'm really not interested in getting in his car or anywhere near it, but it's not like I've got towels in mine; and I'd rather use one of his than get my car seats wet. Reluctantly, I follow after him, shivering in my steps.

"I--," my teeth chatter as I try to talk. "I thought you and Jay were fighting for Nya. I thought there was some love triangle action going on."

"Yeah, there is," he says, agreeing with me.

"Then why did you kiss me?"

"I. . . I don't know. It was just this impulse; I just wanted to kiss you so bad," he says.

"So, I'm a little confused: You wanted to kiss me, and you did; but you don't love me--you love Nya," I ask, hoping for some explanation.

"I think--Oh, I don't know."

This is so frustrating to me. Can't he just pick between me or Nya? It might work out better if he either dropped the idea, or if he picked me: because then Jay could have Nya; she'd be off my back; and Cole would be with someone he likes.

We reach his car & he pops the trunk, fishing through it before finding us each a beach towel. He hands one to me, and I take it gingerly, wrapping it around my body to try to get rid of the water & the cold. He closes the trunk and hops up onto it, then he pats next to himself, gesturing for me to get up with him.

I hop up next to him and re-wrap the towel around myself while he drapes his on his shoulders. "It's been awhile since I've fallen into a pond kissing someone," he says, looking out towards the road.

"You've done that before?"

He looks back at me. "What? Oh, no. I don't know why I said it like that."

"So does it mean anything?" I ask, leaning in and hoping to get some kind of choice out of him.

"I don't know. But I do know that I've had a crush on Nya for a while, and I knew it. But when I met you. . ." He pauses to move some hair from my face. I almost push his hand away, but then realize that that would alter his choice. "I just had this odd feeling. It wasn't like love at first sight, but it wasn't like I really hated you. And then we fought ninja-style, and nobody really won; so for a moment I thought that we were equals. And that maybe, in some fantasy future, we would be soul mates."

Gosh, okay; I had a few feelings for him, but not really feelings like this. Although, spending time with him does accelerate my attraction. Oh my gosh, this is just so frustrating for me; and not just because I don't have that much experience in relationships, but also that I don't really have anyone to turn or look up to. My whole family is gone. I don't even know my extended family, if there is any.

My eyes drift away from him and stare towards Ninjago city. "I don't really know what to think. I don't have much experience in the way of intimate relationships. And I don't really have anybody I could ask about it."

His hand reaches out and turns my chin back to him. I look down at it, and he realizes my feelings about those types of gestures & moves his hand away. "But what do you want, Ember? Make the choice for you. With guidance from you," he says with emphasis.

I turn my head back away & lose focus on the things around me. "I don't know."