Camping Life

I wake up somewhat startled to find my arm draped over Cole's shoulder and his over my side. I slip out of his arm and the sleeping bag, grab my bow & quiver from the car, and head into the woods to hunt breakfast. When I return with a large rabbit, I find that Cole has awoken and is tending to a new fire. I mutter a good morning to him and sit down on a nearby tree stump to skin my rabbit.

Cole sets the stick he was using to poke the fire down and comes over to me, resting his hands on both my shoulders, and rubbing up and down gently. He holds out his hands and says, "Here, let me." I give in and hand him the knife and partly skinned animal. I walk over to our sleeping bags with my hunting weapons. "You planning on killing me in my sleep?" Cole asks, as I set the bow & arrows down. I look up at him questioningly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," he says looking up at me. "Since you put the weapons by the sleeping bag, are you going to shoot me while I sleep?"

"No! I put them there because what if we get attacked by someone or something in the night?" I say, walking back over to him, taking the skinned rabbit from him and preparing to cook it. I set up what I need and start cooking. "Hey, there's some hand sanitizer somewhere in the car, can you get it?"

Cole leaves the campsite and returns shortly with the sanitizer and cleans his hands, then offers some to me. I look up and show him my full hands. His eyes drift down as he squats down and rubs some sanitizer on my hands for me. "Thanks," I say, looking back at the rabbit.

When the meat is finished cooking, I break off what I'm going to eat and give the rest to Cole, who seems to seriously enjoy eating it. It's not that it tasted bad, but that I'm just not used to the taste of rabbit. And yes, I did actually bring food, I just didn't want to use it all right away; and it's not like it's going to go bad one day after we left, I made sure of the expiration dates. I wait until Cole has finished chewing the last of his rabbit to say,

"I think we should keep going." He looks at me strangly, perhaps confused if thinking I meant eat more. I turn my head south and nod towards the road that stretches for miles. "Keep traveling, I mean," I say, starting to pack things up. Cole joins me in rolling up the sleeping bags. We load them and my bow & arrows into the car, douse our fire with water from a nearby stream in the woods, and get back into the car.

At first I don't buckle; I just sit there and think. Well, not really, I just kind of wander in thought. I barely notice Cole snaking his right hand--he was in the driver's seat--toward me. Then I feel his hand towards the inside of my thigh. That snaps me out of my aimless thought. I turn my head with eyes showing contradictory emotions. Fear, anger, love, lust, hate. I grab the front of his shirt and pull him towards me in a swift motion. Our lips lock and stay there for about 3 seconds; then I break the kiss. "That's for loving me," I say before changing mood. Then I slap him hard across the face. "And that's for trying to get me." I return to the natural seat position, but barely stay there because of what happens next.

Cole grabs the sides of my shirt, wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me back towards him, across the car, and sits me on his lap. He leans towards me and pulls me in as he crashes his mouth against mine. Figuring I'm not going to get my way, I give in and kiss him back hard. His tongue snakes through my lips and into my mouth, making my eyes open in an awkward feeling. He opens his as well, and watches me as we kiss. Then I close my eyes again and move my tongue into his mouth. We continue to make out and explore each other's mouthes for at least 5 more minutes, then we decide to continue on our road trip.

I don't return to the passenger seat; I sit awkwardly in the middle, resting my upper body against his. We drive out of the clearing and continue down the long road.