So. . . What Now?

"Well," Cole says, hopping down from the trunk. "I've got to get going. My training starts soon & I can't be late for Sensei Wu. And I've got to change out of these clothes.

That's it? I don't get a straight, or even a blurred answer about what he really wants?! I hop down from the trunk and start to hand him the towel. He holds his hand up towards me.

"Just return it to the house when you're done. If you could wash it that'd be nice. I'll see you later, Ember," he says, getting into his car & starting the engine. He revs it a few times before backing out of the lot & driving away.

I would've washed the towel anyway. I know how disgusting that pond stuff is; he doesn't need to ask me to wash it out. Now I feel like deliberately not washing it, just to frustrate him.

I unlock my car & set the towel on the seat so that I won't get it as wet. I start my car & head back home. When I get there, I go into my house, down to the laundry room, and get the washer prepped for a yucky load. I toss the towel in and then strip down, putting almost everything in the machine. I start it & head upstairs, not really covered at all.

At the top of the stairs, my doorbell rings. I can't answer it now! I'm barely dressed! I dash into my room, quickly try to dry myself off, and grab random clothes & throw them on. I sprint back down the hall & the stairs as the doorbell rings again. I throw open the door, my gross wet hair flying everywhere.

Sensei Wu stands in the doorway. How much time has passed since I got home? "Oh, I'm sorry, Ember. Did I interrupt you?" I don't think I should explain that I fell into a pond while kissing Cole, so I just shake my head dismissively. He nods back, "Anyway, I was coming over to invite you for brunch tomorrow with myself and my clan. We'd probably be heading out around, oh, say, 10:30. Would you care to join us?"

I nod quickly & say, "Umhmm. Yeah, sure. Should I come over before we leave?"

"That would be fine. Although I think we may need to take more than one car. There's going to be eight of us."

"Ok, well, thanks for inviting me. I have to get going, I'll see you tomorrow, Sensei Wu."

Starting to leave, he says, "And I you."

I shut the door and run back upstairs. I feel so dirty right now! I strip of the clothes that I threw on and jump into the shower, trying to get all the grime off my body. Couldn't Cole and I have just crashed, I don't know, into some gazebo or something? This pond scum stuff is really driving me nuts right now.

After I've become comfortable with the cleanliness of my body, I shut the water off & get out, grabbing a fresh towel to completely dry off. By the time I've finished my whole cleaning routine, it's just about 6 o'clock. I make myself a simple dinner and watch a Pirates baseball game. After they win, I tuck myself into bed, and try to get a good rest.

Throughout the night, I toss and turn. It's not memory trouble, I just can't sleep. When I finally do find a lasting comfy position and fall asleep, no dreams come. Maybe I'm moving on. Or maybe the change of activity in my life is prohibiting the memory dreams. Whatever; as long as I'm not dreaming about how my family died, I'm good.

Waking up & rubbing the sleep from my eyes the next morning, I feel like I've barely slept at all. I change into something comfortable and check the time: 10 on the dot. I go through my morning routine, and when I'm finished, it's already 10 minutes until I'm supposed to meet them. I grab my keys and head over to next door.

I knock and Zane answers. He invites me in and we head down to the basement to the Comfy room. He walks down the steps first, but at the bottom, he turns right, away from the beanbags. I slowly descend the steps and hear moaning from the left side of the basement. Carefully placing my feet, I come down far enough to get a view of what's going on.

Relieved that what I thought might be happening actually wasn't, but not particularly happy with what was, I watch silently, as Nya and Jay make out, Cole watching them. They stop kissing and what happens next makes me draw my hand to cover my mouth.

Jay backs away, and Cole takes his place, kissing Nya passionately, like he did with me. I don't know which one is real: his kiss with me, or his kiss with her? They continue to make out and I take the opportunity to let them, but particularly Cole, know that I've arrived.

I step loudly down the stairs, making the most roucous I can to let them know I've seen what they've been doing. Cole stops kissing Nya as soon as he spots me, but she doesn't know it's me yet. She pulls Cole back and crashes her mouth against his. That is really disgusting to me; the way she does it. She just. . . Ewugh! I can't even try to describe it.

I finish coming down the stairs and loudly plant my feet with each step as I deliberately turn right, even though I don't know where I'm headed. I hear the sound of smooching cease and quick footsteps coming my way.

"Ember, I can--" Cole starts. But I whip around and slap him across the face, preventing him from telling me that he could "explain"

"Oh, I think it's pretty clear! No explanation needed. How about next time, though, either not kissing me so that we fall into a gross pond; or telling me that you're going to cheat on me!!" I whip back to facing forward and storm off, crossing my arms around my middle, and leaving him with his hand where I slapped him.

I think he starts to follow me, but I'm not sure. He never arrives where I'm at. I stop and look around at the room I've entered. It's covered with weapons and some other suits; colors matching the ninja's. Maybe they're old suits. I scan the room for a door, but don't find one. That's great. I stormed off into a dead end and the only way to leave is right by everybody else. When I've calmed down a bit from my feelings, and I've slapped myself a little for my own reprimanding, I turn around and go back the way I came.

I quickly round the corner and go quickly up the stairs. When I've reached the top of the stairs, I rush to the door. My hand turns the knob and someone pulls my shoulder so that I face them. It's Kai.

"Wait! Wait, Ember! What's wrong? What happened?" His hands rest on my shoulders and his eyes search mine.

I shove his arms off me. The last I want is affection from any of them anymore. "Don't talk to me!" I shove my hand in his face. "I've had enough of you guys! You're mean, betraying, awkward, manipulating! I can't take you guys anymore. And the last I want is any kind of 'affectionate' acts from you guys anymore! Get away from me!" I yank their door open and storm out.

The door slams behind me as I walk down their path. I end up run-jogging [you know what I mean] back to my house. When I get back inside. I scream my head off while scampering up the stairs. When I reach my bed, I practically rip my hair out and scream the tears from my eyes. Then I fall asleep on my bed and don't wake up until 1:00.