-Chapter 1-

It was raining in New York, rain makes me feel a little jumpy not sure why. My name is Thaila James or Tj for short.
I have a secret. I have super powers, I don't use them haven't in a long time safe to say I'm rusty. Though New York has it's own super heroes in the form of the Avengers, they always save the day. Once upon a time I could have been like them but not anymore I mean my suit has been sitting in the back of my closet for a long time.

The sound of yelling pulls me out of my thoughts, it's a bunch of teenagers picking on a younger kid.

"Hey" I call to them.

They turn to the sound of my voice, almost wondering whether or not to fire some insult at me. I look into the eyes of the boy who is getting picked on, I see myself when I was his age getting bullied for my powers.

"Leave him alone" I say sternly, hopeing to distract them.

"What's it to you lady" the leader barks.

The little voice in my head says to take a breath that they are just kids. But something deeper wants to stop them.

"What has he ever done to you" I demand.

"He's a geek. Needs a lesson" the tall ones sneers.

I walk over and detach the teen from the boy and push him behind my back. I would like nothing more than to show them how it feels to be picked on but that is not the right way to handle this. They mutter a few curses and run away, I turn and bend down to be eye level with the boy.

"What's your name" I ask, fixing his rumpled clothes.

"Ryan" He replies softly.

"They are cowards Ryan, those who pick on others are trying to fill a void within themselves" I say to him.

"Thank you miss" Ryan nods before walking off.

I stand back up and shake my head what is it about smaller kids always being targets for older and larger ones. The ground vibrates to the sound of a distant explosion then the low rumbling of a jet. Most likely the Avengers flying off to save the day from some bad guy.
As I walk I think about them, Iron man, Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow. A group of people amazing on their own incredible together. Again I'm yanked from my thoughts with the shrill ring of my phone, the caller id tells me it's my roommate; Piper.

"Yes Piper"? I ask.

"Tj? Where are you? You were supposed to be back half an hour ago" Piper demands.

I wince it's true I was supposed to be back half an hour ago. I got lost in my thoughts while I was getting coffee.

"Piper I am so sorry. I was walking to the coffee shop then there was this kid getting bullied and I couldn't leave  that" I explain, now speed walking to my apartment building.

I hear her sigh, it's not the first time I've been less than punctual. Not that it's any excuse either.

"Is the kid alright"? Piper questions.

"Yeah, I made the bullies leave and gave him a pep talk about it" I say, pulling the door to the building open.

"Good"

"The Avengers were on the news just now" Piper says.

"Really? What were they doing I heard the jet a little while ago" I ask getting excited to hear about it.

"Apparently some freaky ass slug thing in the park downtown" She reports.

Wow.

"You are kidding" I demand shocked.

"No word of a lie" Piper laughs.

"That is insane. Alright I'm almost to the apartment so I see you in a minute" I say.

I end the call and go inside the apartment I toss my coat on the couch where Piper is sitting eyes glued to the news reports she was telling me about on the phone. I go right to my room and then to the closet where my suit is I push the clothes to the side and stare at the glass case.

"You could help too you know" Piper says softly from the door.

I look at her, compassionate eyes and calm posture.

"I'm too rusty" I sigh, shifting my gaze to the case at the back of my closet.

"If you practiced a little each day Thalia you wouldn't be" She says stepping into my room.

"I used to be really good Piper, I could fly. But now I can't" I sigh putting my head in my hands.

"You know what I think? I think that one of these days you are going to remember how it feels to use your powers then you want to stop" Piper says coming to sit next to me.

Maybe she's right I can't spend all this time wondering what if. The what ifs will be the end of me.

"You know what Piper you have a point" I nod.

...