-Chapter 38-

I wander around the mansion avoiding the students as best I can even though I've been working with the professor their memories and feelings still break through when I least expect them to.

"Hey? You're the Avenger right"? A teenage girl with a white streak in her hair asks excitedly.

"Yes that's me. Who are you"? I ask wrapping my arms around my waist.

"Rouge" She smiles softly.

"What are your powers"? I ask the curiosity getting the better of me.

"I touch someone and I get the life force but with people like us I get their powers and if I hold on too long I could kill someone" She explains her voice turning dark and cold.

"That's kind of similar to one of my powers; My telepathy, I get memories when I touch people it's been working on overdrive lately that's why my team brought me here" I say happy to find someone who might understand.

That's when I noticed she's in what looks like Nat's training suit but Rouge's has different emblems on the belt and shoulders.

"Going somewhere"? I ask realizing I'm blocking her escape down the hall.

"The professor is sending me and a couple other students on a mutant recovery. Do you want to help? We could use someone of your power level" She asks putting her hands on her hips.

"Sure" I nod quickly I close my eyes and picture my suit from New York on my body.

I look down it's there boots and all Rouge looks surprised but she doesn't say anything we jog down to the hangar where Bobby and another girl plus a man with a red visor are waiting by a fancy looking jet.

"What are you doing Rouge"? The man wearing the visor asks sounding confused.

"She's like a class 5 Scott. She can help us bring the new student back here and you know it" Rouge counters leading me up the ramp of the jet past the other students and Scott.

"If we go down for this remember you thought it was a good idea" Scott mutters closing the ramp.

I'm not sure how long we were flying for I kept getting pulled back into Logan's memories or lack there of the pieces I saw were scattered at best, I'm pulled out of my head when the jet hits the ground looking out the window I'm not sure where we are but I'm going to get the mid west maybe Minnesota.

"What should we call you"? Bobby asks adjusting his com device.

I clap my hands softly they glow purple pink and blue I smile to myself, I still got it.

"Nova" I say still smiling at my glowing hands.

"He's hold up in an old technology warehouse so watch your step it's old tech but it might still have some juice to it" Scott says with a nod.

We sneak into the warehouse each taking our own side it feels so good to be out in the field again if it isn't with my team. I creep down the hall stepping over wires when I have to, I pause when I hear a low whine eerily similar to Tony's repulsers unfortunately I don't have time to duck out the way a blast hits me square in the back in my head I realize that it didn't feel like energy but more like something Asgardian which is even more worrisome. I jump back up using adrenaline to keep me going I jump into the air firing energy down the hall where the blast came from, I frown when nothing connects.

"Cyclops you copy"? I ask dropping softly to the floor behind a wall.

"I copy"

"I think I just found what we came for. I'm in the northwest side of the warehouse but watch it he's got some sort of energy blast thing it packs a punch" I whisper peeking around the corner.

"Got it. Iceman and Shadow-cat are heading your way now, I will move in from behind try to box him in" Scott replies.

"Hey! We aren't here to hurt you, we want to help you" I call out hovering above the floor ready for another attack.

"Could have fooled me" A voice yells back.

"Force of habit it won't happen again. What's your your name"?

"Andy" He calls to me.

"Mine is Thalia do you think you could come out I'd like to talk to your face"? I ask dropping to the floor.

There's a shuffling then a young boy is standing in front of me electricity flickering in his eyes.

"It's like they speak to me and I can hear them" He whispers looking around at the broken down tech.

"But you can't control it"? I observe as another console sparks wildly.

A head shake.

"We can help you Andy, we represent a school a place to teach you to control your powers" I tell him carefully trying not to flinch when more machines start flickering to life.

"What if I can't"? He sniffs.

"I think you can" I smile nodding my head.

He takes a deep breath clearly weighing his options but I don't get to hear his decision because Shadow-cat stumbles into the hall Bobby right behind her the increased amount of people pushes Andy over the edge that he was already tittering on. I throw my arms up to shield my face as electric feed back starts filling the hall and metal flies through the air. The last thing I heard was an old tool bench whining in protest then darkness.

Scott point of view

"Kitty get him to the plane" I snap into the coms as I sprint to Nova's location she's down and not responding.

"What about Nova"? She questions.

"Just you and Bobby get him back to the plane Rouge and I are going to get Nova" I order, wincing Mr Barnes is going to kill me- no scratch that the Avengers are gonna kill me.

I get there first and gasp at the sight she's flat on her back arms out to the side hair splayed around her head stained red with blood from a grazing head wound but the gut wrenching part is her chest and torso is filled with shrapnel. I kneel down and put two fingers on her neck feeling for her pulse for a few long seconds I don't feel anything then there's a faint and thready heartbeat. I break everything rule from my first aid training you aren't supposed to move a person without properly clearing any spinal injury but I'd rather save her life.

"Is she dead"? Rouge asks when I walk up to the jet ramp.

"Not yet" I growl.

The amount of blood would suggest otherwise but I refuse to let her die.

Bucky point of view

I shake my head of course Thalia snuck out with the X-men for a mission why am I not surprised.

"Oh my god"

I turn and see the professor has become deathly pale and his eyes wide.

"Professor"? I ask stepping forward towards him.

"Call the Avengers" Is all he says.

I take out my phone and dial the tower number and wait for one of them to pick up.

"Avengers towers" Jarvis states politely.

"Jarvis I need the team ASAP" I say looking at Charles over my shoulder not liking how distressed he looks.

"One moment Sergeant Barnes- connecting now"

"Bucky"? That's Steve.

"Guys you need to get back to West Chester now" I say only worried more by the look on Logan's face now that he's in the room.

"What happened"? Clint demands.

"I don't know! Charles told me to call you guys and get you back here" I say pacing around now.

"Ok ok Buck calm down we are on our way"

...