|Two|

Skyler

*****

After a teary eyed Diane exited my office, I opened the figurative files in my mind. How was I going to handle the situation with Nicole Dunbar? I paced up and down my office, one eyebrow furrowed in worry.

I called my friend. "Shayne, it's good to hear your voice buddy. How is Sabine and your daughter, Madalyn? I know you were shocked when you had a girl instead of a boy."

A broad smile framed my face when I got the birth announcement. I only heard happiness on the other end of the phone from the proud father.

"We are thrilled at this pink bundle of joy! I tried to tell my wife that the doctor could be wrong. And I can already tell that I will have two feisty women in my house. Looks like I'm outnumbered." He announced with pride.

"Congratulations, to you both. I'm sure she is a beautiful baby. I have a gift to drop off for her. I can't wait to meet your daughter." I still can't believe Shayne is a father.

Shayne cleared his throat. "Thank you so much. You didn't have to do that. But we definitely appreciate it. You've been a good friend."

"Hey, you're my closest friend and confidante! Of course I'm giving Madalyn a gift." I paused. "I need to pick your brain on a few matters, at your earliest convenience. My father has decided to move our company to Savannah, Georgia. Also, I just found out that my current sales account executive is resigning. I asked her for a replacement idea for her position, and she gave me a name." I hesitated.

I could tell that Shayne was in anticipation. "Are you going to leave me in suspense? Your voice inflection tells me, I had better brace myself for this one." I could hear the excitement in his breathing.

"I was mildly astonished when she told me that the current sales and merchandising coordinator would be a good candidate. She is her assistant. Her name is N-i-c-o-l-e  Dunbar." I slowly enunciated her name.

There was silence from him. "Isn't that the girl who was your plus one at our wedding? She is gorgeous, and we still don't know how you managed to snag her."

"I didn't snag her." I spoke through clenched teeth. "I happened upon her as I was checking in. I came to her aid. She definitely wasn't your average woman. It was the strangest date I've ever had." I clarified the situation.

Flashback. . .

"This has to be the most romantic wedding that I've ever been to. They look so in love out there dancing. I wonder what it's like while you dance your first dance as husband and wife?" Nicole was tearing up and couldn't take her eyes off of the happy couple.

She sighed as they danced to Perfect.

She got a tissue from a guest sitting next to us. All of the women were crying, or choked up. I have to admit, it was a tearjerker moment. I like Sabine. I'm sorry I dated her at one time, under false pretenses.

It wasn't my proudest achievement. It was a sticky situation, but it all worked and she is with Shayne.

We went into the elaborate reception tent and had dinner. I still can't believe I'm with a date that I don't know. It was awkward introducing her to the bride and groom.

Personally, I have my plate full with taking over for my father as CEO at Pennington, Inc. I couldn't settle down right now even if I wanted to. I'll just enjoy tonight and get back to work tomorrow.

"Could you pass the butter please? I need to butter my roll." Nicole broke into my thoughts, staring at me with those dark brown eyes of hers. She was pointing to the butter that sat in a dish on the table near me.