|Seventeen|

Nicole (Monday Morning)

*****

I was apprehensive this morning. I swung my legs over the side of the bed, as I sat up. I slid my slippers onto my feet, and stood. I yawned sleepily and stretched. I strode over to the window, moving the curtains and looking out. It looked a little overcast with the sun playing peek-a-boo with the clouds in the sky. It's forecasted for the sun to come out by this afternoon, when I have my date with Amelia.

I felt slightly gloomy today. I started thinking about Skyler being back in Texas, and me here with my family. My father still hasn't reached out to me like I thought he would. It hurts if I'm honest with myself.

I've always put on a brave face, since the time I was a little girl. I never even told my aunt and uncle how much I longed to know my daddy. I didn't want to hurt their feelings, or seem ungrateful for them raising me. They saw to my every need and gave me plenty of love.

I thought someday I would find my father and his family. Once I did, we'd have one of those cheesy reunions. I'd break down and we'd both fill a void, that had been missing since my birth. But, that response didn't come from him. It came from my grandma, Mimi.

All my father seems to care about is his new wife, and daughter, April. He says nothing of importance about me, or his feelings toward how proud he is of me. I've come to the realization, that I can't look to him for that kind of validation.

At first the tears filled my eyes and threatened to spill. Then, I couldn't hold them back any longer. It was like a levy broke, and the tears rushed down the sides of my face. I didn't bother to stop them any longer. I cried for the years of pent up anger, and hurt.

Outside my bedroom door I heard muffled voices in the hallway. I put my ear to the door. "Daddy, why are you letting Nicole go with Skyler's mama? Shouldn't she be doing something with the family? That's why she's here, isn't it?" It was April pretending that she wanted me to be with the family.

She didn't want me with Skyler's mother.

"Now, April you know that Nicole is friends with the Pennington family. And she works for Skyler. I'm not going to interfere with her arrangements." He actually stood up to her.

I stuck my tongue out at the door like a five year old.

"But, but Daddy—" I could hear the pout in her voice.

He cut her off from speaking. "It's fine. We'll do something fun today. Me, you, and your mama. We'll even ask Mimi to come. We're done talking about Nicole. She is a grown woman."

Well, he has that right. I'm done trying to gain his love, and approval. . . I'm glad I got to learn that first hand. Now I can move on with my life, and those that truly care about me. It's a sad reality that I have to face and I'm determined to do just that.

This trip taught me, that I'm a lot stronger than I ever knew.

As I got dressed, I changed my ringtone to, Something Beautiful by Tori Kelly. My cell phone sounded as I was putting my earrings on. "Hello?"

"Hey Nicole. I'm just checking in to see how you are?"

"Good morning Skyler. I'm getting dressed to go with your mama to look at houses this afternoon."

"I just spoke to my father, and he told me that you were going with Mama to look at houses. My dad is going to look at commercial buildings for Pennington Inc. He is so excited. He is anxious to find something and start moving our operation down to Savannah." Skyler sounded just as psyched.

"That will be great if he finds something soon. When do you think you'll be back to Savannah?" I had to ask.

"Maybe in a couple of weeks. I'm interviewing a lot of new staff members this week. So many employees couldn't make the transfer. Key positions need to be filled. Shayne Carrington has a buddy back in California, that's flying in tomorrow to interview for my new, CFO. He used to work with him, and sounds perfect for the job." He sounded overwhelmed.

"Once I have key people in place, we can start moving down there. My father is going to find the office building. It's important to him, and he still wants to feel useful." Skyler filled in all of the details.

I sat down at my dressing table, and wiped away a stray tear. "That sounds great, I'm excited for you and the company. I'll look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I gotta run, so I can be on time when your mama arrives." I quickly tried to end our conversation.

"Nicole, is something wrong? Did something happen?"

"No, I'm fine. I just have a few things to finish up."

"I wish I could be there sooner. I miss you, and our moment by the pond." He stunned me out of nowhere. I froze with amazement.

"I do too," I spoke softly.

"Enjoy your day with my mother, she'll take good care of you. I'll see you soon." He hung up.

It was a little bit much for both of us, I think. . . .

A fresh set of tears started to collect in the corners of my eyes. At this rate, my eye makeup will be nonexistent.

A familiar knock sounded at my door. "Come in Mimi."

"I was worried when you didn't come down for breakfast. Are you okay?"

I started reapplying my eyeliner. "Yes, I'm just an emotional mess today."

She narrowed her eyes, and sashayed over to me. "You need some TLC from your grandma." She wrapped her arms securely around me in a comforting embrace, that only a grandmother could give. I felt like a little girl being wrapped up in a blanket made of love.

She lifted my chin, and wiped the moisture from underneath my eyes. "Take a deep breath, and count to three. . . .You are treading in new waters in so many ways. Meeting your father and his family for the first time, and developing feelings for Skyler. Yes, I know that you have feelings for him. . . don't look so surprised." She winked.

"I also know that your father has disappointed you. That has to be difficult to process. But please know that I love you, and you are beautiful. . . . Your grandfather loved you too. You will find out more on Wednesday. That's all I will say for now. I'll let you finish getting ready. Ameila will be here soon." She blew me a kiss on her way out of my room.

*****

                          Votes and Comments are Appreciated ~ ❤️