|Sixteen|

Skyler

*****

I went to work Monday Morning, with my new puppy assistant carried in one arm and my briefcase in my other. All of my female employees went nuts. They ran up to me, as I entered the building. I was surrounded by women oohing and aahing over my temporary canine guest. I tried to escape to the elevator, it didn't work as planned. I had to tell them she wasn't my dog, but that I was watching her for a few days for a close friend.

I tried to make it to my office, but my secretary, Maryanne, stopped me. "Oh Mr. Pennington, I didn't know that you had a new dog. She is beautiful. I absolutely adore Teacup Yorkies." She put her hand up to her mouth and made a gasping noise.

At that point, I started speaking through gritted teeth. "She is a friend's dog, that I'm taking care of for a few days. Can I give you my car keys to get someone from maintenance to bring her dog bed and toys to my office?" I handed her my set of keys, getting her attention.

"You are watching her here, while you're at work too?" She held her hand to her heart and sighed.

She was still making a fuss over Princess. I cleared my throat. "Right away, Sir." She immediately got on the phone with the maintenance department.

I entered my office and shut the door. I put Princess down and she started inspecting her new surroundings, right away. I had a few phone calls to make.

I crouched down and pointed at her. "Do not chew on the furniture and be very quiet while I make an important phone call." I put my finger to my lips, as I stood and walked to my desk.

I can't believe I'm talking to a dog. I shook my head and chuckled in amusement. I've never had a dog in my life.

I got her groomed at Pet Smart yesterday, and they added a pink bow. I wanted her to look her best for her office debut. Nicole would have a fit if she knew how much money I spent on Princess. They saw me coming from a million miles away.

There was a loud knock at my door. "I have your dog bed and toys, Sir." The maintenance man brought everything in and left quickly. Princess started chewing on her rope right away, which bought me time.

After my phone call, Maryanne buzzed my intercom. "Mr. Pennington, Shayne Carrington is here to see you."

"Okay, send him right in."

Princess ran to the door and started barking at Shayne, as he entered. "Be nice to Uncle Shayne." I had to make light of the situation. I know Shayne was wondering what in the world I was doing with a dog in my office.

"Skyler what's up with the dog? She is so cute. Your taste in women changes by the day. I didn't know you had a puppy?" Shayne gave me a bro hug, and bent down to pick up the toy dropped at his foot.

"She is actually Nicole's puppy. I'm watching her while she stays in Savannah, with her family for the reading of the will." I explained, as I sat down on the sofa, unbuttoning my suit jacket. I observed him interact with my favorite puppy.

Shayne rubbed his shadowed chin scrutinizing me, with his steel grey eyes. "I see! You've really changed, bro. This girl has really gotten to you. I know you say you're just friends, but I've never seen this side of you, ever. Now your brining a puppy to your office, Mr. Particular?"

"Haha very funny. It just so happens, that I'm not as particular as you may think. I love dogs, and other things you may not realize about me." I had to say it, just to wipe that smug look off of Shayne's face. He already thinks he knows everything.

"I doubt that. Everything, including your designer suits, has to be just so." He pointed to the current suit I had on, as an example.

He put his thumb and pointer finger under his chin and bottom lip. "There is something that you aren't telling me. I've come to know you enough to tell that you're hiding something." He sat down on the gray leather sofa, observing me quietly.