|Twenty-Seven|

Skyler (Three months later. . .)

*****

I was wired Friday morning and also a man on a mission. I had to put my surprise for Nicole on hold once the reading of her grandfather's will was contested. I ended up being her attorney, and I concentrated on that.

Now, I'm back to being CEO of Pennington Inc. The move to Savannah went smoothly. Our shipping company is up and fully operational. Even though Nicole is an heiress, she is working as a sales account executive. And she is doing a phenomenal job.

Nicole and I started dating three months ago. I knew that I was in love with her when I arrived back in Savannah. I wanted a special romantic way to tell her. But, with June and her father in the picture that wasn't happening—I just seized the moment.

I drew her close to me and peered into her beautiful brown eyes. "I love you," I wasn't planning to say that, but it felt right in that moment. I was at her home to make sure she was safe.

She had met with her father that night. He told her what happened with him and her mama. June burst in and it was a lot of commotion. Mimi was about to get her cast iron skillet out for June and Lucas, but she simmered down.

Mimi let him stay overnight and Nicole asked him to leave in the morning. She had nothing else to say to him. There really was no excuse for the way he treated her of no account, her entire life. She wasn't ready to think of speaking to him again. It was too painful, after finding out the circumstances of her birth. He should have raised her, especially after she lost her mama.

This Friday morning should be exciting. I'm headed to the airport with my mama, father, Mimi, and Nicole. I planned a long weekend to fly back to Dallas. I'm finally going to put my surprise in effect while we're there. Nicole will get to visit her aunt and uncle. She'll also get to be reunited with her puppy.

My parents invited everyone to stay at our estate in Dallas. They still own it and my brother, Lance, lives there. We just boarded the plane and we're sitting in first class. "Skyler, let's take a selfie." Nicole kissed my cheek, as she snapped our photo.

She immediately, posted it on Instagram and Facebook. She commented under the picture, Skyler and Nicole = Love!

My notifications went insane, with congratulations. People I haven't spoken to in years liked the picture. Nicole snuggled next to me, and read through the comments on my phone.

"You just got a text from Shayne." She handed me the phone.

Shayne ~ I knew it bro, congratulations!

Skyler ~ Thank you. We're on our way to Dallas. We're going to be at my parents house for a long weekend. Maybe we can get together with you and Sabine.

Shayne ~ That sounds great. We'll definitely make it happen. Call me when you're in Dallas. I miss you Sky, haha.

Skyler ~ I knew you liked that nickname lol. Nicole never calls me that. I'll see you soon.

I turned my phone off, and leaned in to plant a kiss on my girlfriend's lips. She smiled and sighed contentedly. I'm glad we're getting away from Savannah for a few days.

*****

We were met at the Dallas airport by Aunt Maxine and Uncle James. "Nicole, my baby!" Her aunt was overwhelmed seeing Nicole, for the first time in a few months.