|Seven|

Nicole

On the flight to Savannah, I listened to my iTunes playlist for a little while. I had headphones on and my music blasting. My favorite song came on, Scars To Your Beautiful, by Alessia Cara. I couldn't get it to stop playing in my head, all day. The words are so appropriate for me. . . .

She just wants to be beautiful
She goes unnoticed, she knows no limits. . . .
Oh, she don't see the light that's shining
Deeper than the eyes can find it
Maybe we have made her blind
So she tries to cover up her pain and cut her woes away
Cause cover girls don't cry after their face is made
But there's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark
You should know you're beautiful just the way you are
And you don't have to change a thing, the world could change its heart
No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful. . . .

*****

For so many years, I didn't see the beautiful light that shined within me. It was covered in layers of pain and insecurities. It was hidden so deep, like a boat that sank below the ocean in deep murky waters.

The memories are hard to erase, the traces still remain. But I'm fighting to find my way.

A booming noise got my attention. The back door swung open and there were two new sets of eyes staring at me.

"Lucas this is your daughter, Nicole." My grandma beamed with an amazing pride.

"My Nicole?" Daddy inched closer to me, as if I were a fragile China doll he was afraid of shattering.

His eyes examined me closely, and the tears started welling up in them. He wasn't sure if he should hug me or not. It was a little weird seeing him for the first time, and very awkward.

Not quite the cheesy reunion show I had expected.

My father was attractive with a receding hairline. He was tall and had hazel eyes. He had a rectangular face with weathered skin, as if he was exposed to the sun a lot.

I searched to find myself in him, and didn't find any similarities.

"This is my wife, June." He motioned for her to join him, fanning his hand forward.

She had platinum blonde hair, and close set green eyes like her daughter. She looked like a former beauty pageant contestant. Her hair was styled in a French twist. She wore a navy blue suit jacket and matching skirt.

June was very Jackie-O like. She was only missing a large pair of sunglasses. She was very thin, had a narrow face, and a pert nose.

Everything about her screamed upper class.

I could already tell that June wasn't crazy about me being here. It was written on her face and she was staring her nose down at me.

They both didn't quite know what to say or do. It was strange, since my father remarried and never bothered to contact me. Not even for a visit or occasional phone call.

My stepmother reminded me of her daughter, April. I didn't really care for either of them. They seemed to have all of my father's affection.