|Thirteen|

Nicole

*****

Skyler's mama turned and glanced at him and then at me. "You are the lovely young woman, who has captured the attention of my son. Please call me, Amelia. This is my husband, Beau Pennington. You are even more striking in person, my dear." She gave me a very warm and genuine hug.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person Nicole." Mr. Pennington gave me a firm handshake, as I extended my hand that was shaking like a leaf.

I was flabbergasted at their reaction to our introduction. I didn't imagine they would be so warm and welcoming. Amelia was a gorgeous woman, with the same blue eyes as her son. She had dark brown hair, old Hollywood glamour, and an Audrey Hepburn flair of dressing.

Her hair was pulled back into a bun. She was slender, with a tiny waist, and had on a fabulously tailored black suit for the Memorial Service.

"Nicole, your grandma wanted you to come home tonight. There are a lot of family and friends hoping to meet you. They're having a dinner at your grandmother's house, now that the Memorial Service is over. Skyler, Beau, and I were invited to attend as well." She looked at me with her expressive eyes filled with tenderness.

"Is that why you were trying to call me, Mama?" Skyler cocked his head to the side in question.

"Yes, darlin. I was hoping you'd call back, or come to the hotel soon. We can leave and go straight there. I was worried, when I didn't hear back from you. I'm glad you're here and we still have plenty of time." She put both of her hands on his face and gave it a loving squeeze.

Skyler's father was more reserved. He was a very handsome man, with black hair and midnight eyes. He had a broad build, was very tall, and had a commanding presence like Skyler.

"May I escort you to the car, Nicole?" Mr. Pennington held out his arm for me to hold onto. I was simply amazed.

"We'll let you two sit together, once we get to the car," Amelia whispered in my ear. She thinks we're a couple. Skyler told me it would be hard convincing her otherwise. I just smiled in agreement, and Skyler winked at me.

*****

We arrived at Mimi's house after the Memorial Service. The house was packed and friends had provided food. There was roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, beef brisket, various types of rice, pasta dishes, fresh baked rolls, and biscuits. A table held plenty to drink, non-alcoholic, as well as alcoholic beverages. There was every kind of home baked cakes and pies imaginable.

People filled every room and chair. Apparently, my grandpa was very well known and a beloved man. I wish I had gotten to know him, before he passed away.

I stood outside on the back porch, leaning against a sturdy column. I was directing my gaze at the pond in the back of Mimi's house. "Hey, are you alright?" I felt someone coming up from behind me, and spinning me around to stare into his magnificent blue eyes.

"I was observing all of the people here that knew and loved my grandfather. It made me sad that I never had the opportunity to know him. I needed to remove myself and breathe in some fresh air. I don't manage well in crowds." I spoke, trying not to let my voice crack with emotion.

I squeezed my eyes shut.

Skyler stepped forward and closed the distance between us. He held both sides of my face affectionately, in his hands. I experienced waves of a current, that was spine-tingling. He bent his head.

Just then, my stepmother sauntered over to us. If she hadn't, I know Skyler would have kissed me. I was in such a state of astonishment. I can always count on my stepmother somehow interfering.