|Twenty-Nine|

Skyler

*****

We made our way to the back of Dallas High School (Crozier Tech). I was so nervous, wondering if Nicole had figured out why I brought her here. She was expecting a beautiful park for our picnic.

"I wanted to share a special memory with you." My eyes caressed her face.

"Is this where you went to high school?" She asked suspiciously.

"What if I did?"

"Well, you did grow up in Dallas. So I guess that's a silly question."

"No more questions, you're going to ruin my surprise. Just be patient."

"Alright, if you insist."

I led the way. We walked around to the back of the school, where the football field was. Nicole shot me a timid glance. "Should we be here?" She looked around anxiously, while she inventoried her surroundings

I shook my head up and down. "Yes, it's fine." We laid out the blanket and got comfortable on the football field.

"I spoke to the coach, and got permission. There isn't a Home Game today." I assured her.

I dug into the basket, handed her a plate, and silverware. "It's been quite an eventful day, you need to eat Nicole."

She grabbed some fried chicken and spooned some potato salad onto her plate. "Mmmm this is so good."

I ate a piece of chicken. "This is delicious fried chicken."

She grabbed a few napkins out of the basket and handed one to me. I was held hostage by her heart stopping brown gaze. She glared at me, and probed my face for a hint of what this was all about. We finished eating, I moved close to her, and took her plate off of her lap.

I tilted my head towards her. "I need to tell you a story from when I was in high school."

"Is that why we're here?"

"Please, let me tell my story?"

"I'm sorry for interrupting, go ahead with your story."

"I was Quarterback for Dallas High School. There was a beautiful girl being bothered by this bully. His name was Joe Adams. He knocked the girl's books out of hands, and her glasses fell off into the mud." I paused dramatically.

"I got up off of the bench, as I was going over plays with Coach. I told Joe to leave her alone and all of the kids scattered. I picked up her books and glasses. I wiped them off with my football jersey." I reached out, lifted Nicole's chin, and our eyes locked. At that exact moment, realization set in. She knew that the story was about her.

Her eyes began to flood with tears. She started wiping gigantic teardrops, as her whole body shook. I handed her the box that I had brought for her. Her hands trembled, as she opened the box.

Inside was my varsity jacket, and my senior picture from high school. I added her high school photograph to the box, next to mine. I had a copy made and framed from the picture at her aunt's house.

"I never heard the girl's name, as my coach blew his whistle. I never saw her again, until Shayne Carrington's wedding." I studied her face with piercing scrutiny.

She shut her eyes, remembering that day. Massive tears rolled from the corners of her eyes.

"I remember you now, so vividly. I was a freshman and you came to my aid. I felt scared and alone. . . then you showed up. I never forgot that experience. You have always reminded me of that boy. That's why you are so familiar to me. Your stunning blue eyes have not changed," she spoke just above a whisper.