|Fourteen|

Skyler

*****

Nicole and I finished eating our dinner. We had way too much fun dissolving into laughter, until our faces hurt. We were discussing her new found family, especially her stepmother and sister. I went to throw away our disposable plates and cups. I returned and Nicole had left the porch. I squinted into the distance, and saw her out strolling by the pond. She had her hands clasped behind her back, looking deeply contemplative into the inky night sky.

She stopped to pick up a stone, and threw it. It made a ripple effect, as it skidded and plunked into the water. There were lily pads near the edge of the pond, which meant that frogs were nearby.

I could hear their croaking sound, echoing into the night. With the moons silver beam like a search light, it was surprisingly easy to spy Nicole from where I stood on the porch.

There was a cool breeze stirring in the June air. Locks of her curls began to blow into her face. She removed them while strolling undistracted. I couldn't resist observing her from afar. She happened to slightly rotate her head in my direction, and noticed me.

I joined her by the pond, settling my arms around her small waist. I laid my chin on her right shoulder. I felt her smile, with my stubbled chin against her soft face. She placed her right hand on my cheek and drew my face closer.

"I'm sorry your grandpa passed away, before you had a chance to meet him." I was at a loss for any further words.

"Thank you, I am too."

I felt her trembling. I took off my suit jacket, and draped it around her bare shoulders. I wrapped my arms tight around Nicole for added warmth. I could feel her heart accelerate, as I stood so near. She began to shiver.

"Are you still cold?

"No, I'm starting to warm up."

Hesitantly, I disclosed to Nicole, "I'm flying back to Dallas, in the morning. I have to return to Pennington Inc. and get everything ready for the move to Savannah. I also need to hire some new employees. We need to get the ball rolling, sooner than later."

"How long will you be gone?" She questioned with anxiousness, taking in a shallow breath.

"I'm not sure yet. But my parents are staying to find a house. My mama would love your insights and opinions. I told her what a good eye you have." I wanted her to know that they'd still be here.

She turned to face me. Her eyes glistened, as the silvery moon illuminated them. It cast its light against her beautiful face. A set of unbroken tears began to flow from the corners of her eyes. "I'll miss you," she spoke in a faint whisper.

My heart became submerged, with the sadness in her voice. I would miss her too! I broke the friendship rule. . . . I lifted her chin, bent my head, and kissed her softly. I had never experienced a kiss so breathtaking.

She kissed me back, with a tenderness that was indescribable. I broke the kiss and just held her tight, as my breathing was ragged. I didn't want to let her go. My heart was beating and racing like a horse running at a full gallop. I didn't plan for this to happen. But I'm beginning to feel something I've never felt before.

"I'll check on Princess for you when I get back to Dallas." I was thinking of something to cheer her up and me too.

"Actually, that would be nice. She is probably driving my aunt crazy." She chuckled. "I didn't know that I was going to stay in Savannah, this long. The reading of the will is going to take place next Wednesday and Mimi asked me to stay.

What else could I say? I lifted her chin. "Maybe I can watch her for a few days?"

She jumped up and down holding onto my arm. "Thank you, thank you! She already loves you, and she only met you once. You can get the keys to my apartment from Auntie Maxine. Princess has a lot of toys and treats still there."