|Twenty-Eight|

Nicole

*****

Alexa smiled and reached her hand across the table. "It's so nice to finally meet you Nicole. I've seen your picture on Facebook and Instagram with, Sky."

Is she really speaking to me? How dare she call him Sky? I don't call him that!

"Thanks, Alexa. I haven't heard much about you. I just read your comment on the selfie that Skyler and I took on the plane this morning. He's never spoken of you." I was calm and collected, as if I could care. I buttered a piece of bread, with pesto butter.

She ran her hands through her long blonde hair. "Oh, I'm surprised at you Skyler. You never mentioned that we were planning to get married?" She announced, unflinchingly.

She was challenging me, and I refused to give credence to anything she had to say.

Skyler narrowed his eyes and frowned at her. "Alexa this is not the time, or place to discuss this matter. We are here to escape drama. I'm with the love of my life and her family. I would appreciate you respecting that. You are with my brother now, congratulations to you both." He took a long sip of water.

Mimi unexpectedly, met Alexa's eyes. "Skyler loves my granddaughter and has helped her in ways that no one ever has. It was my husband's wish before he died, that Nicole would find a man worthy of her. That man is sitting right next to her—where he should be." She gave her an icy stare.

Lance intervened. "I'm sorry, this was supposed to be a friendly lunch. Skyler and Nicole, I apologize. Let's all eat this delicious spread, that my mama had prepared for us."

The apology should have come from Alexa, not Lance.

"I don't expect you to apologize Lance. Some people don't think before they speak. I'm thrilled that you have found someone that makes you happy. I certainly have found the most incredible man to love, who loves me in return." I smiled adoringly at Skyler. I had to make it known, that Skyler was mine.

I suddenly lost my appetite. That woman had some audacity. She had to bring up the fact that she and Skyler were going to get married. She knew exactly what buttons to push. She probably still would love to marry Skyler.

I think she is using Lance and he can't see the forest for the trees.

Skyler leaned over and put his lips next to my ear. "Are you alright? I was never in love with her. You are the first and only woman, that I have ever loved," he gave me a kiss on my lips in front of everyone at the table. He knew what he needed to do, for her sake.

Everyone began eating, and trying to make polite conversation during lunch. Alexa watched my every move. As soon as I would look up, her eyes examined me. She was not happy to see me with Skyler. Now, I know she was using Lance to get to Skyler.

But she will not get him back. I have been through so much, and lost the most important people in my life. I will not lose Skyler too. I never even dreamed it possible, that someone like him would ever notice me. . .but he does! He helped me see that I am beautiful, and I am enough. No one can take that from me.

"I'm sorry to eat and run, but I have a surprise planned for Nicole this afternoon." He pushed back his chair and stood. Then he pulled out my chair and helped me up.

He held my waist and walked me out of the dining room. I waved to everyone, as we exited.

"Have a good time!" His mama yelled as we were leaving.

I was still upset, but at least I didn't have to sit and look at Alexa's face.

"Where are we going?"

"On a stroll down memory lane." He winked at me, and held out his hand.

"Are you driving?" I anchored my attention on his car keys.

"As a matter-of-fact I am. My Lamborghini is in the driveway. I've been waiting to drive it. You'll be my first passenger." He stared at me, waiting for my response.

My eyelashes swept up and I blinked in surprise. "I didn't know you owned a car, we've always gone with a driver."

"I don't drive it all the time. I treated myself to this car and this is a special occasion." He steeply arched his brow at me.

I moved toward him and threaded my fingers through his. Now, I was intrigued. I couldn't stay angry with him. He called me the love of his life. And he stated it to Alexa.

"Oh good, you're still here. Nicole you didn't eat anything, don't leave yet." His mama ran to the kitchen. She came back with a picnic basket, that she had packed for us. She could barely contain her excitement.

"Oh, you almost forgot to give them the blanket Amelia. You can't have a proper picnic, without a blanket." My grandma quickly went to retrieve it.

"Thanks, Amelia and Mimi." I gave them a hug and kiss. They didn't want our day ruined. I love them so much.

"Are you ready for an adventure?" Skyler met my perplexed look with his eyes full of mystery, as I chewed on my lower lip.

We walked out of the front door. I stood admiring his beautiful car. He opened my car door and grabbed the picnic basket from my hands. He put the blanket in the back, next to the white box with the red bow. He got in, put his sunglasses on, and we drove off in his black Lamborghini.

"This is an amazing car and you look good behind the wheel. It's such a treat to have you drive me. Can I ask why you never mentioned your relationship with Alexa? It must have been pretty serious, if you were talking marriage." I cautiously approached the subject.

"I had broken up with Alexa a few days before I met you at The Carrington wedding. That's why I had a plus one available. She was supposed to come with me. I realized that I wasn't in love with her and she was very shallow. She wasn't what I was looking for in a wife. So you became my plus one, and that led to where we are today. Who would have thunk it?" Skyler shook his head in amazement.

"That is pretty crazy how we got together, and this whole journey that I ended up on. I snuck into that wedding, hoping to find someone who knew my Dunbar family. I had been searching for them." I reflected on how we met. Skyler stopped at a red light, and put my hand up to his lips with a kiss.

We reached our destination. "Skyler what are doing here? This isn't a picnic spot. Are we even allowed to be here?" I was trying to put all of the puzzle pieces together.

"You ask a lot of questions. . . . I've got everything under control. I've been wanting to surprise you since I came back to Savannah. Then, everything happened with your grandfather's will. Now, I can finally solve a mystery that has been on my mind since I met you." His eyes burned with excitement.

He parked the car. Turning off the ignition, he leaned over and brushed his lips with mine. I was ready to melt under the floor mat. He got out and started taking everything from the back. He came around to my car door, and handed me the gift box to carry. He grabbed the picnic basket and blanket. Our adventure was about to begin. . . .

*****

                                       Votes and Comments Appreciated ~ ❤️